Shipping a pair of La scala

lowkh

Hi, I am new here although I joined since 2006. From Singapore and being using Klipsch KG 5.2 for my main since1990s. running it currently with Sansui tube amp cum Denon CD player. Mods and tweaks to give me added bass and more depth. Played all sort of music and LOUD!!!!!!!!

Have a vintage Telefunkun tube amp on stand-by and hope to play warm music with a pair of La scala someday.

Had been following on and fell in love with Klipsch La scala sound through mostly youtube clips.

Would very much love to own a pair to replace my KG 5.2

But it seems a big challenge to have them ship from United States. The costs involved may be a deterrent.

As I have read Klipsch craze lovers driving 500 miles to pick up their ideal pairs, I hope to be crazy enough to ship one pair back to Singapore.

Hopefully the seller if there comes by, willing to help with the shipping matters and inconvenience.

Thanks for reading

lowkh,

welcome to the forum.

LaScalas are wonderful sounding speakers. And you are right, people have driven lots of miles to pick up a pair.

it would be some work to pack and prepare to ship to Singapore. Not sure what the cost would be, but where there is a will there is a way.

Welcome (back) to the forum. Good luck in your quest for a nice pair of LaScalas.

I've seen some guy's have success in shipping "large" speakers via freighters. The process is slower, however the cost is much less that using one of the major carriers.

If you want original LaScalas, you could build a set of clones. All the dimensions are readily available and the compnents would be less expensive to ship.

Just a thought...

Then again, there is nothing like have a pair fo the real thing sitting in front of you.

Bruce

Hello to all,
got a friend who is in the import/export business to help quote shipping charges and was in for a shock................
Checked and found out Corporate rate for freight and was shocking...............
Base on volumetric weight around 480kg @8.48 per kg. (Crate= Length X Breath X Height) approximately 200cm by 120cm by 100cm.
Work out to be around $4,070.00 Sing dollar. ( US and/or Canada )
Not including local handling charges, S'pore handling charges, airport terminal charges Tax etc etc... Estimated to come to about $5,000.00 Sing dollar.
That is not including the speakers costs and crate costs.
Shipping, forget about it. More hidden charges bill only 1 to 2 months down the road after recieving the goods. And more risks.
Wow.........................................................

These might actually be better.

Plus these build instructions from djk:

Cut all 22-1/4" items without moving the fence, box will be square that way(rip oversize and re-saw if need be).

Set the blade to 30*, take your time and get it right. If your blade heels (most do), set the fence to be parallel with the blade. The set on the teeth should just shave the aux fence.

An auxillary fence is used to cut the 60* angle, the board will be fed vertically into the blade. Use the next chamber angle board as a push board, then the ramps, then an absolutely square push board will be needed for the last item.

Cut all ramps in one piece at 60* and 30*, then re-saw to 3" (add for your saw kerf).

A brad nailer is used on the 60* boards to attach to the chamber sides and (later) make the front angle.

I use 8d galvanized casement nails for about everthing else. With skill they can be driven flush without a nailset and leave no mark on the wood.

Lay the chamber sides into a groove on the saw top. Lay the chamber angle sides on top and square up with the table edge. Tack in with two wire brads, then carefully pull appart. Apply glue to the joint, re-assemble, tap the two brads in all the way, and check to see if it is still square. Nail the rest of the joint with brads. Check for square (easier to fix now than later). This is all much easier than it sounds.

Set the T-nuts (I use a c-clamp), make sure they have threads!. Glue and nail the ramps onto the motorboard. Draw lines on the motorboard so your nails will actually hit the ramps. Blunt the point of the nails to avoid splitting. Dry fit. Drive two nails for each ramp, but only a fraction of an inch into the ramp. Mark the order of the ramps on the motor board. Knock apart. Glue. Drive the nails home, add a third nail to each ramp if you like. Use a Surform body file if you need to lose any wood that hangs out past 22-1/4", the points should hang over the 15-1/4" width.

Line up the motorboard assembly with the back and draw nail lines for the ramps. Cut the deflector shorter than 13", it will save a lot of grief. Attach to the back. Are your nail lines going to be visable?

Dry fit the side/angle assembly to the motorboard with a couple of blunted nails. Start all the nails you will use. Glue. Make sure its square. Drive home the nails. Repeat for the other side/angle assembley. Use a small spacer to keep the front angle open while you work. When the whole mess is square, remove spacer and use the brad nailer on the front angle.

If the doghouse is not square at this point, stop and fix it.

Dry fit the chamber bottom to the back with two or three nails, then dry fit the doghouse to the bottom with a couple of nails. Glue on the bottom. Glue on the back. Dry fit the chamber top. Glue on the top.

I use a two-flute panel cutter with a guide bearing to cut the woofer mounting hole in the bottom, use the brad nailer to tack on a guide for the router to follow the front edge of the cut.

LaScala11.pdf

Here's an exploded drawing I made some time ago. (There is one piece missing on this, part 13 on the previous pdf) If you know someone who can do the English measurements and not metric, you would be good to go.

Bruce

post-7149-13819858952126_thumb.jpg

That's terribly expensive. You can ship automobiles cheaper. You should check with different freight forwarders to see about lower rates. I used to build crates for overseas shipping all the time. Freight forwarders have crates already built sometimes, or you could possibly be part of a larger shipment in cargo containers.

Don't rule out finding them in Europe and Asia. They may be more scarce and more expensive, but the shipping would be less and the distance/time would be too. If you decide to build a LaScala, you will still need to purchase the horns, drivers, and networks and have them shipped. FYI, I was in the logistics and household goods profession for 30 years.

Thanks Marvel, Mustang guy, CECAA850. and all forum members for all your inputs. Marvel, wow......... fantastic 3-D illustrations.

Will show inputs to my wood-working boss friend to see how he can help. I dont have all the necessary tools and workshop space. I did contracting works,plumbing, aluminium and glass works. But never did woodworking except in school's technical days.

Yes, I suspect it is UPS that I was quoted for the freight charges.

Well, getting the horns, drivers and cross-overs thru ebay may be a challenge too.

Someone just post his whole heritage lot for sale. Hooi, how I wish he stays in Singapore. I will pay him what he is asking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh..................................

There have been some folks on here from Australia who have LaScalas. I think one of the members built his own clones. Shipping should be a LOT cheaper from Oz, if they already have them, even if coming from Sydney.

Bruce

lowkh,

I'd suggest Bob Crites as source for parts. Last year Tony Reed built up a pair of LaScalas for me, from an empty cab. Sourced the parts, drivers, horns and crossovers through Bob Crites.

Bob has also done some international shipping.

never been disappointed with his work and service. he's one of the good guys.

Thanks, Daddy Dee.

Trying to catch up with my woodworking friend to see if he is interested to do the job for me.

Thought US Navy comes to Singapore very often. Just trying my luck. If happen anyone knows of someone's son or friend in the Navy coming here. I am willing to pick up a pair (preferably black) from him. Willing to pay him for the trouble too.

I understand tax free if declared as personal item for his personal comsumption.

Sorry bros, for cracking my nuts.