1974 Klipschorn (Bryant, AR)

opusk2k9

I wonder what the tops look like . . . The veneer between the bass bin and the tophat does not look like the fronts . . . Looks like walnut between the tophat and bass bin . . . And mahogany on the front?

i think they look just fine and the color matches perfectly. could easily be seen as walnut. i just looked at my k-horns and all the edge banding veneer on them has no grain in it at all. M9 in the serial number from what i remember stands for

M=Mahogany

9=dark stain

in1974 they came with nailed on pie slice logos which these do not have

• 3 weeks later...

I live in the town with this seller. I went and looked at these and they are nice, not perfect. There is a few nicks in them and the top of one has a few scratches, they for sure need oil. I offered $2k and he turned it down, I lost interest. He still has them as far as I know. The finish is Mahagony. He said he has until November on his lease so he isnt moving right away.

My offer was based on seeing them and seeing the imperfections. The front of the one he does not have pictured has an obvious damage spot about 1/2 the size of a dime that goes through the veneer and the top of the same one has scars and scratches. Also, around the bottom of the top hats there is noticeable veneer damage. All the noticeable damage considered I felt $2k was a fair offer. The ebay listings you cited look GREAT! These are not in as good of condition.

My offer was based on seeing them and seeing the imperfections. The front of the one he does not have pictured has an obvious damage spot about 1/2 the size of a dime that goes through the veneer and the top of the same one has scars and scratches. Also, around the bottom of the top hats there is noticeable veneer damage. All the noticeable damage considered I felt $2k was a fair offer. The ebay listings you cited look GREAT! These are not in as good of condition.

Philly,

I think you are right on with your offer. You can buy pristine Khorns for 2,500 or so all day long. I've seen a few pair in good condition that sold for under 2,000. Now that doesn't mean that everyone is willing to sell their gear for market prices. Some people refuse to adjust their prices to what the market actually is and will hold out for the possibility of reaching an uninformed buyer. For me, I don't pay above market prices and sometimes will only buy if the price is on the low side of market....it just depends on what it is.

If this seller is still holding out for 4,000 on these Khorns, he really does not want to sell them....and probably won't!

Hogfan

Philly,

I think you are right on with your offer. You can buy pristine Khorns for 2,500 or so all day long. I've seen a few pair in good condition that sold for under 2,000. Now that doesn't mean that everyone is willing to sell their gear for market prices. Some people refuse to adjust their prices to what the market actually is and will hold out for the possibility of reaching an uninformed buyer. For me, I don't pay above market prices and sometimes will only buy if the price is on the low side of market....it just depends on what it is.

If this seller is still holding out for 4,000 on these Khorns, he really does not want to sell them....and probably won't!

Hogfan

Crazy looking exotic veneer can push them to 3K or 5K.

Thanks for the info. They are located in my hometown. I was thinking of taking a look at them next time I was in Central AR.