Parks Audio Step Up Transformer for Moving Coils.

Guest David H

Been meaning to chime in on this post, basically to say, very, very interesting, glad you posted it, and a couple of questions:

1. Why are you going with a SUT? I think, but I'm honestly not sure, that there is another way to run a LOMC without a transformer, so why go this way?

2. Have you compared those American built Cinemag's with any other transformers like the Lundahl's etc. and what's your listening conclusion? Or are the Cinemag's the only SUT transformers you've heard/compared.

Cost to build? Less than $200?

I have a PS- Audio GCPH, so I did not need to the SUT. My Mac preamp has a built in MM Phono stage that needs the step up for use with my cart, so I decided to give the SUT a try. That said, I am very pleased with it.

Or are the Cinemag's the only SUT transformers you've heard/compared.

The Cinemags are the only ones I have heard, this is true, however I did get a chance to Demo one of Bob Devices SUT's which incorporates the same cinemags, and was impressed.

Cost to build? Less than $200?

That sounds about right, though I opted for the lower distortion SUT that ran an extra $50.00

Dave.

. Why are you going with a SUT? I think, but I'm honestly not sure, that there is another way to run a LOMC without a transformer, so why go this way?

My question also. I've read that MC transformers get gain from much better impedance matching (as well as voltage step-up?) which delivers higher power (volts times amps) to the preamp.. Supposedly this results in very low noise levels from SUT's.

However, my tube Joule preamp's 61-db tube phono gain stage has very low noise, too. Is there a reason Jud Barber didn't use SUTs in his pre?

. Why are you going with a SUT? I think, but I'm honestly not sure, that there is another way to run a LOMC without a transformer, so why go this way?

My question also. I've read that MC transformers get gain from much better impedance matching (as well as voltage step-up?) which delivers higher power (volts times amps) to the preamp.. Supposedly this results in very low noise levels from SUT's.

However, my tube Joule preamp's 61-db tube phono gain stage has very low noise, too. Is there a reason Jud Barber didn't use SUTs in his pre?

For this you are going to have to ask one of the pro's. I did this so I could use the built in phono stage in my McIntosh preamp, and I have heard good things about these SUT's

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the Budgie and SUT set up(because I am so stupid I would never assemble one myself DIY style)... I have to say that I am completely blown away. my 2 channel vinyl sound has taken leaps and bounds upward in terms of performance, resolution, clarity and seperation. quite clearly I had been missing the boat for some time... now, I am so happy and content. I need to try some different tubes... recomendations from folks? Telefunken Ecc88's? If anything I want to keep the clarity and crystal clear sound in the upper register, but would like to SLIGHTLY increase the lower bass area of the range.

I'm never selling my Parks Audio set!

I bought the Budgie and SUT set up(because I am so stupid I would never assemble one myself DIY style)... I have to say that I am completely blown away. my 2 channel vinyl sound has taken leaps and bounds upward in terms of performance, resolution, clarity and seperation. quite clearly I had been missing the boat for some time... now, I am so happy and content. I need to try some different tubes... recomendations from folks? Telefunken Ecc88's? If anything I want to keep the clarity and crystal clear sound in the upper register, but would like to SLIGHTLY increase the lower bass area of the range.

I'm never selling my Parks Audio set!

I have the budgie with the SUT also ... I think mine is #3! I rolled some Amperex Holland orange labels in, as recommended by Sean, and they sound great. And they weren't ridiculously expensive either.