KSW15 match to K-horns?

do you have them tucked into a corner with say 40 inches of wall space on either side of the K-Horns? If you do you probably don't really need a subwoofer.

From my experience with the KSW series subwoofers, i kinda wanted a little more output with them. But I did not have K-Horn which allready puts out low hz at a moderate spl. If you just need that little bit more bass, I would say that it would work. But I myself have never tried it, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

i guess i should add that i was using a KSW-10 and a KSW-12, not the KSW-15 with a Synregy System 6 modified to using SF-2's for the fronts and moved the SB-1's for accent speakers.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Bob

First off - Is this for HT?

I have a pair of '83 Khorns and for listening I do not run a subwoffer.

I think you will find the KSW line a little too weak for the Khorns. I would suggest looking at the RSW15 or RSW12 as a minimum. Lots of interest in the subwoofer section of this BBS using SVS with high end Heritage.

JM

Hello Bob, welcome to the forum!

I too have a pair of Rosewood K-horns, they are from '78. Do you have any photos you can share?

I use my K-horns for 2 channel, I have tried a couple of smaller subs but they just don't blend well. I have tried a KSW-12 and it was a definate no go. I would think you would need at least the RSW series, maybe an SVS Ultra would be in order here.

Are you doing HT or are you doing 2 channel?

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps

AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH mods

McIntosh MCD 7007 CD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connect Speaker Cable

DIYCable Superlatives (preamp/amp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (sources/preamp)

f>

s>

No!

None of the Klipsch subs will go low and loud enought for the Klipschorns and LaScalas.

Try the Sunfire Signature, Velodyne HGS-18, or SVS-Ultras.

The Sunfire is at it's best set below 60HZ.. If you want to use a higher crossover frequency then go with the HGS or SVS.

I have the Signature and like it a lot, But I want to add an HGS one of these days.

The HGS is slightly more accurate then the Ultras, but the Ultras play a little louder at the lower extremes.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

I have a KSW-15 that I run with my Belle's and find that it can keep up fine. It has over a 120db's of output, which is comparable to the Belle's 124db max output. It is turned up all the way to max. However, it is not running off the subwoofer output on the receiver it does not seem to feed it sufficient signal output. I run it off the special subwoofer output on my DBX 120X-DS and it can certainly keep up with no trouble. I have two of them just because I love tremendous bass, but when I was running just one it blended fine. I am certain there are much better subwoofers than the KSW-15 but I want to stay with Klipsch as much as possible. The Khorn's go another 10hz deeper into the bass region, so I would think that the KSW-15 would not have to work as hard. I guess the bottom line is that it is a matter of listening preference.

------------------

Living Room

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (105W X 3)(Heresy II's (Walnut) (Add Mains) (a/d/s L300E hooked in series (Add Center)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (200W X 4) LWE-I w/Motion Feedback (Walnut) (Rears) & Infinity SM-82 (Walnut) (Side Surrounds)

DBX BX-1 Power Amplifier (400W X 2)(Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane)

DBX MPA-150 Split Spectrum Mono-Block Amplifier (175 X 1) KV-4 (Center) (Black)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

DBX DX-5 CD Player w/DAIR

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

RCA DRD-485RG Digital Satellite Receiver

DBX TX-1 AM/FM Stereo Tuner w/Shotz NR

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Electronic Crossover

DBX 5BX-DS 5-Band Computer-Controlled Dynamic Range Controller

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver (85W X 3)

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

Technics SL-DL5 DD Linear Tracking Turntable

DBX DX-5 CD Player w/DAIR

Pioneer CT-S88R Auto-Reverse Programable Cassette Deck

DBX 200XG Program Route Selector

DBX SNR-1 Single Ended Noise Reduction Unit

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller

DBX 2015G 15 Band Per Channel Equalizer

JBL T545 Loudspeakers (Mains)

Cerwin Vega CS-9 (Center)

Audiosource 6.5" Subwoofer

Panasonic 20" Stereo Television

TBrennan said:

"IME four 15" drivers used as a sub can match basshorns pretty well in terms of dynamics and low distortion. I don't think a single 15 can keep up."

TBrennan is on the money here - I took his advice and grabbed a pair of JBL Pro 4638 bass cabinets (two 15" woofers per cabinet - very high quality woofers). These are as close to horn loaded, low distortion bass you can come - without being horn loaded. Large numbers of low distortion drivers are a great way to match the speed of horns. These sometimes still show up on ebay.

Otherwise, you need to look at the "big boys" in the sub business - Klipsch RSW15, SVS Ultra, Velo HGS - for example - and preferably more than one. The SVS Ultra pair is the best bang for the buck right now.

Anything less will seem to "muddy" the super tight sound of the Khorns. I had similar problems underbuying my sub for my HT - too "loose" for Klipsch, especially for 2 channel. The JBL's were the cost effective choice (under $450 for $2200 worth of cabinets).

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains) - Klipsch Academy (center channel) - Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Krell Home Theater Standard processor - Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

Bass Kit: 2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets - Crown CE 1000 amplifier - Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources: Pioneer DV-333 - 2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks - General Instruments cable box - Panasonic VHS PV-4459 - Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>