Cornwall grille question - Cornwall Refurb Final Pics Project Complete

ryanm84

I mentioned in earlier posts about having a matched set once the new veneer was on. Technically, that should have been the case. I had a very figured sheet of walnut veneer. Because of how the figure was laid out on the sheet, I should have had the same pattern on the finished product. I cut each piece from the sheet so that the grain would flow from one surface to the other. However, when I started the veneering process, I inadvertently had the cabinets placed in the same direction but should have had them placed in opposite directions. See what I mean on the figure? The front of the speakers is on the right of the picture. Ah well, it might not be seen by most.

photo10_zps6a08b317.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here is the final tally:

Purchased: 4x10 walnut paper backed veneer, 2x8 walnut paper backed veneer, veneer scraper, 25 foot walnut edge banding, 2 quarts of contact cement, grille fabric, 1/8" hardboard, black paint, foam brushes, fabric rollers, paint pans, Watco golden oak oil, Watco medium walnut oil, type B crossovers, squawker driver gaskets, wood and bolts to stretch grille fabric.

I don't know if I will do anything beyond the oil finish (i.e. poly). I don't want a shiny finish and I don't currently have the equipment for a spray finish. I think I'll just let it ride and enjoy the music and newly finished cabinets.

Don't let a project like this intimidate you. You won't need a lot of expensive equipment and if you do it right, you can practice with some of the scraps to make sure you've got it right.

I don't think I would do this with a Khorn, Belle, or Scala. It's way easier on a basic cabinet. However, if someone wants to give me a pair of any of those, I'd give it a whirl! [:D]

beautiful... want to do mine :)

how much wood working skill does it take to do a complete veneer?

I am very mechanical and meticulous, but I have NO wood skills... yet.

I used to live in Phoenix so we were a lot closer - I would have helped!

In this case I don't think there is any"real" woodworking. No joinery, shaping, etc.

It's really about prepping the surface, getting the right amount of veneer, and taking your time.

Other than my table saw, I used nothing more than what was pictured

The surfaces of the cabinet were done one at a time and I used a router on every surface except the edge banding. There was a little paper backer that would be left behind from the router so I used a razor knife and literally hand trimmed every inch of joints. Some of my other tools are in storage but now that I think about it, I don't know that I would want to use something super aggressive like a rasp. I don't want to compromise the edge adhesive. And the edge banding was more of the same. Razor knife and very careful trimming.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent Job! I have a set of Cornwall 2's that need the same treatment and I hope I do as well. I saw your pics of the inside and the damping material that was originally installed and my 2's had none so can you tell me specifically which pieces on the inside of the cabinet had that applied?