Richard Morris in head on collision

Marvel

For those of you who know him or of him, world class organist Richard Morris was in a head on collision on Sunday morning. The worst is head trauma, with swelling in his brain. He also has a broken left wrist, left collar bone and left hip. He is in his mid 70s. At present, he is hanging in there but it will be touch and go for quite some time.

He is the organist at the church I was attending in Atlanta, and wonderful to spend time with.

For those who pray... or just offer up good thoughts.

Bruce

post-7149-13819860129774_thumb.jpg

Bruce, I am sure you know where my thoughts and prayers are in this. I'll be listening to Richard when I get home this evening and praying fervently that his mission is not yet complete amongst us.

O God, whom saints and angels delight to worship in heaven: Be ever present with your griveiously injured servant Richard who seeks through art and music to perfect the praises offered by your people on earth; and grant him even now glimpses of your beauty, and make him worthy at length to behold it unveiled for evermore. We humbly beseech thee to behold, visit, and relieve him. Look upon him with the eyes of thy mercy; comfort him with a sense of thy goodness; preserve him from the temptations of the enemy; and give him patience under his affliction. In thy good time, restore him to health, and enable him to lead the residue of his life in thy fear, and to thy glory; and grant that finally he may dwell with thee and choirs of angels who forever sing thy praises; through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Amen.

I hadn't been able to get in touch with friends in Atlanta to find out Richard's condition, but am sad to report he passed away last Friday. I'll get some mroe info for anyone who may be interested. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Bruce

"Sonic Fireworks" tonight, and gratitude for his life. Richard has joined the eternal symphony of praise.

"Therefore we praise You, joining our voices with Angels and
Archangels and with all the company of heaven, who for ever
sing this hymn to proclaim the glory of your Name:

Holy, Holy, Holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of Your glory.
Hosanna in the highest.
Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.
Hosanna in the highest."

Dave

I finally got this from the Spivey Hall website:

Clayton State University’s Spivey Hall, the Southeast’s premier recital hall renowned internationally for its superior acoustics and the excellence of its classical, jazz and world music artists, today announced events to celebrate the life and legacy of Richard Morris, Spivey Hall’s organist-in-residence since 1994. Morris passed away on Thursday, September 12, of injuries sustained in an automobile accident earlier that week. He was 71.

?“We at Spivey Hall are deeply saddened by Richard’s passing,” said Sam Dixon, executive and artistic director, Spivey Hall. “He was an extraordinary man and a greatly gifted musician. He will be missed not just by his Spivey Hall family, but by all those whose lives he touched with his music.”?A requiem mass is scheduled for Saturday, September 21 at 11.00 a.m., at St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church, located at 587 Landers Drive, SW, Mableton, Georgia, 30126. In addition to his role as organist-in-residence at Spivey Hall, Morris also served as organist at St. Francis de Sales; in lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be made to the church in support of its choir.
?Morris was originally scheduled to perform at Spivey Hall on Saturday, February 1, 2014. That concert is now being reformed as a memorial concert honoring Morris; the concert is still in the planning stages and program details will be announced at a later date.

?Born in Atlanta and raised in Smyrna, Morris began his concert career at age 12 as piano soloist with the Atlanta Pops Orchestra, performing the Grieg Piano Concerto at the Fox Theatre before an audience of 5,000 people, and was twice soloist in the Atlanta Symphony Youth Concerts during his high school years.

?A pupil of the legendary Nadia Boulanger in France, Morris credited Spivey Hall founder Emilie Spivey for launching his exceptional concert career that spanned decades. She introduced him to the iconic American organist Virgil Fox, who coached him in developing his concert repertoire. One of the few organists ever to be presented in recital by Carnegie Hall, Morris also soloed with symphony orchestras and toured extensively for Columbia Artists and the Community Concert Associations of the United States and Canada, performing some 50 concerts a season for 25 years. He garnered critical acclaim for his numerous recordings and performed as soloist for national and regional conventions of the American Guild of Organists.

?Commanding an unparalleled knowledge of Spivey Hall’s magnificent 4,413-pipe Albert Schweitzer Memorial Organ, custom-built by Fratelli Ruffatti in Padua, Italy, Morris was equally renowned for his deep mastery of style, compelling performances and incisive wit in speaking from the stage. He gave performances in every Spivey Hall season since the organ’s dedication in 1992, including live broadcasts in November 1992 and August 1996 for public radio’s nationally syndicated program, Performance Today.