Best AVR for seprate amp?

K5SS

Hey guys. Well I love my new HK AVR-3700 but I have decided that I want to get back into seperate amps. What new AVR you'll you guys reccommend that has all of the bells and whistles minus HDMI 2.0 and has pre outs? I have been thinking about the Emotiva UMC-1 but I would like your opinions. Not really sure on budget but I would like to keep it cheap as possible since I will probably replace it in a couple of years anyway when HDMI 2.0 gets more reasonable. Thanks guys!

What new AVR you'll you guys reccommend that has all of the bells and whistles minus HDMI 2.0 and has pre outs?

Not really sure on budget but I would like to keep it cheap as possible since I will probably replace it in a couple of years anyway when HDMI 2.0 gets more reasonable.

How about a price range. New or used? Refurbished with warranty?

I have been thinking about the Emotiva UMC-1 but I would like your opinions.

The Emo is a preamp/processor so if you want to go that route let us know that also.

Bill

I would like to keep it around $500. I don't care if it is new or refurbished but I do want a warranty. I really don't care if it it classified as a preamp/processor or a AVR, I really just want to buy a solid AMP that is future proof and have the best sound quality and video quality possible within my budget. Like I said, I will probably replace it within a year or two.

• Moderators

Over a year ago, I had narrowed my AVR down to the HK 3600. Just before I pulled the trigger, I began considering the UMC-1. Long story short, I figured what the heck, let me give Emotiva a shot. Although I liked the UMC-1, and the few quirks / bugs I experienced I could live with, I never was 100% satisfied with the UMC-1's performance, especially the center channel. It had to do with the EmoQ. I never could get the EQ set correctly because the EmoQ Calibration was terrible so I had to manually configure each channel's EQ (which I'm not very good at).

I always had it in the back of my mind, "Did I make a mistake by not getting the HK 3600". I bought the 3600 to see and would sell whichever I liked the least and without hesitation, I ended up keeping the HK and am extremely pleased with the SQ for both HT and for 2ch. You can read about my thoughts in the Just Ordered A Harman Kardon AVR 3600 thread and you can jump right to my 2hr Comparison Testing of the UMC-1 vs HK 3600 here.

Hope that helps.

The problem is with most of the name brand Abe's is to get pre outs anymore you have to get into their higher end models. Unless you go used, there really isn't much way around it. You can always try the umc-200 or the outlaw model. I forget its model number. But it's like 599$ and its strictly a processor. I myself gonna give anthem a shot next I think for a few reasons. 1) they use ARC. This is the benchmark for which every other room correction is compared too. 2) even their lowest end receiver (mrx-300) has pre-outs. I would use and amp so higher end receivers in their line only get more power nothing else. That how companies should make their stuff but they can't afford to. Anthem doesn't have any fancy bells and whistles. They care about one thing, audio! Just like in the old days. And too me that is what is so fantastic about my old pioneer sx-980. It just sounds plain amazing with just about any Klipsch speaker to my ear.

"Best AVR for seprate amp?"

I don't know of any "best AVR" but this Sherwood Newcastle R-972 AVR with Trinnov Optimizer room EQ looks very interesting especially for the insane price of $599.99. I have read tons of very good things about this receiver and Trinnov.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/SHERR972/SHERWOOD-R-972-Newcastle-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver-TrueHD-DTS-HD/1.html

Give forum member Fish a PM and get his take on the R-972.

If I was not as pleased with my NAD T175HD pre/pro as I am, this Sherwood Newcastle would be near the top of my list if I was to go back to an AVR for HT processing/music.

Bill

That Anthem AVM 50V looks like a nice unit and there is a Anthem dealer about 20 miles away. Actually that Sherwood R-972 with Trinnov Optimizer looks like a great deal also, just a little worried about it's release date of 2010. I know AVR's have changed quite a bit the last three years so I wonder what it is "missing" compared to today's receivers?

That Anthem AVM 50V looks like a nice unit and there is a Anthem dealer about 20 miles away.

I am very sure of that but the Anthem will destroy your $500.00 +/-/= budget. The AVM 50v is the "more affordable" consumer version of their multiple award winning Statement D2v pre/pro.

Actually that Sherwood R-972 with Trinnov Optimizer looks like a great deal also, just a little worried about it's release date of 2010.

What are your "must haves" that you think the R-972 might be missing? I know of course HDMI 1.4 "only" supports up to 1080P 3D but as we know 4K TV's/projectors are not common place yet. I can see it does not have 1.4 w/ARC but it will pass through 3D.

Here are some owner impressions.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/55399-sherwood-newcastle-r-972-official-thread.html

Bill

The Anthem MRX series is great. I've had my MRX500 for almost two years now. Not a single problem. Set up ARC once and have not changed it since. Best movie sound we've had in our HT. Driving Cornwalls front and back with heresy for center. Energy sub. Best stereo sound from AVR I've found. SACD's have never sounded so good. If you're looking to buy, I would hold off for now. Talk is the new MRX-x10 series will be coming out by the end of the year. All MRX models have analog multiple channel inputs and preamp outputs. You can use a separate amp it you like. I use HDMI and the internal amp. Gets louder than I can stand. Not a bit of distortion. Best AVR for the price. No frills. Just great sound.

That Anthem AVM 50V looks like a nice unit and there is a Anthem dealer about 20 miles away. Actually that Sherwood R-972 with Trinnov Optimizer looks like a great deal also, just a little worried about it's release date of 2010. I know AVR's have changed quite a bit the last three years so I wonder what it is "missing" compared to today's receivers?

it should look like a nice unit, it's 6,500$!!!!!

The Anthem MRX series is great. I've had my MRX500 for almost two years now. Not a single problem. Set up ARC once and have not changed it since. Best movie sound we've had in our HT. Driving Cornwalls front and back with heresy for center. Energy sub. Best stereo sound from AVR I've found. SACD's have never sounded so good. If you're looking to buy, I would hold off for now. Talk is the new MRX-x10 series will be coming out by the end of the year. All MRX models have analog multiple channel inputs and preamp outputs. You can use a separate amp it you like. I use HDMI and the internal amp. Gets louder than I can stand. Not a bit of distortion. Best AVR for the price. No frills. Just great sound.

good to know. I will always use external amps wether I need them or not just because I get ridiculous with demos for people sometimes. So I'd prefer to not send a clipped signal at all to any of my speakers. Won't be buying till my onkyo 805 craps out which hopefully won't be for a while.

Looks like I have made my decision. I think I am going to order the Emotiva UMC-200. I will probably pick up a XPA-3 and use my UPA-200 for the surounds. Sound like a solid plan? The UMC-200 has good reviews and is on sale right now for $600.