Bargain turntable?

DizRotus

The formerly intact dust cover was shattered. The platter was not secured and the tonearm was not secured. There were several bits of packing tape, none longer than 10" and less than 48" total, inside the box to "secure" it for shipment.

I contacted the seller, who vigorously defended the adequacy of the packing. In exchange for a full refund, including the actual cost to return it, I offered to double box and secure everything properly. I anticipated the cost to ship it back could be greater than the $25.02 it cost to get it here, as it would weigh more when properly packed.

In the alternative, I asked for a $25 refund to offset the shattered dust cover.

The seller immediately issued a $25 refund.

My dilemma is whether to leave positive feedback. On the plus side, the issue was quickly resolved on my terms. On the negative side, the item was improperly packed. What would you do?

This is a no brainer. Negitive feedback!

I mean Come-on, this was not packaged for shipment. It may of been packaged for storage in his home, but absolutely not for shipment. [N]

Does it work?

Sorry this happened. It should not of happened at all. If you want to sell stuff on Ebay, you have to package it so it gets where it's going without damage. This is inadequate packaging, to say the least.

Dennie

This is a no brainer. Negitive feedback!

I mean Come-on, this was not packaged for shipment. It may of been packaged for storage in his home, but absolutely not for shipment. No

Does it work?

Sorry this happened. It should not of happened at all. If you want to sell stuff on Ebay, you have to package it so it gets where it's going without damage. This is inadequate packaging, to say the least.

Dennie

I agree, the dust cover and platter should have been removed and protected from damage using cardboard and crumpeld newspaper at the very least.

You let the guy off easy for $25.

Good luck with your new TT.

I neglected to say it does work. The Audio Technica AT14Sa (see attached pdf) cartridge seems to have survived the ordeal, as well.

Now the dilemma is whether to use this cartridge with no idea of its hours of use or replace the stylus with an aftermarket at anything from $17 to $118, or put that toward a new cartridge.

Hey Neil, If the needle looks okay, not bent or canted, I would give it a shot with an old or worn record to see how it tracks.

If it looks bad in any way, I would get the Shure M97xe or Similar cart. before I used it.

At least it works, so it's worth a shot if the needle looks okay.

Congrats on getting back into vinyl. It's a journey that can be well worth the effort. [<:o)]

Dennie

I've neglected to purchase the plexi cover for my 1200MkII, but they are running about $80+.

I still think you will come out ok on this deal.

Bruce

Bruce-

I think you're correct.

The AT14Sa cartridge is no slouch. I've attached an eBay search page showing used units are fetching north of $250.

As I type, I'm listening to "The Turning Point" by John Mayall, a record I just picked up for $1. It sounds fantastic. I'd forgotten how good a record could (should) sound.

This live recording should work well with the QD-1 that Dave Mallete seduced me into getting, which then precipitated the urge to get a turntable . . . again.

It's eBay. A 1500 was ending; a 1200 wasn't. I placed a sniped bid and won. There was no conscious decision to go for a 1500 over a 1200; there wasn't a 1200 ending at the time.

Notwithstanding the shattered dust cover, I'm pleased with the table, including the AT14Sa cartridge.

After listening to the TT, including the AT14Sa cartridge, I decided to leave positive feedback, but as neutral as possible. I indicated that a glitch was speedily resolved to my satisfaction.

The silver lining is that the same ignorance regarding the proper packing and shipment of electronics was matched by his ignorance of the market value of the AT14Sa cartridge. If identified in the listing, the price would, most likely, have exceeded my max bid. Alternatively, if the eBay search results are an indication, the seller could have pulled the cartridge and listed it separately for twice what the TT alone was worth.

I'm very pleased with the transaction, so some sort of positive feedback seemed appropriate.