Photo
- - - - -

Vintage 80's speakers ID help

Id

Best Answer billybob, 01 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

LOL, that was what I ended up doing myself when came here and sticking around the forum made me realize(ongoing) what I have.

Your welcome and bet they sound nice indeed.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Videokid

Videokid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Does anyone know what model of Klipsh speakers I have. There is no number anywhere on them. I plan to sell them and I'm not sure what I should ask for them.
Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#2 Sancho Panza

Sancho Panza

Klipsch Walnut Oiled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationBeauvoir, Mississippi

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

kg2

posted from my iPhone, kindly ignore spell "corrections"

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC TC-P60UT50 PLASMA 3D HDTV, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK Blu ray (iPhone APPs), SONY STR-DE1075 (SB, HEIGHT), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 Blu ray/HD DVD, iPod nano 8 GB, COMCAST HD DVR, KLIPSCH La Scala, 1980, Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers with Sonicaps (THANKS to Forum Member snailtrax) FRONT, KLIPSCH HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE (Thanks to Forum Member Craig List), HERESY II CENTER (eBay) & SURROUND (Thanks to Forum Member Craig List), kg2 (THANKS to Forum Member Rivernuggets) Surround, kg1 SURROUND BACK, kg3 HEIGHT, RW-12d Subwoofer, km-rsw

Captain, Mississippi Nat'l Guard (Retired)

#3 billybob

billybob

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

You should see the KG2 in the place where you connect wires written.

Good eyes *sanchopanza! Quick on the draw!

Saw a pair on craigslist recently. Tampa I may recall.

Edit: OOOps, maybe not written.

Edit: Welcome to the forum.

Edited by billybob, 01 November 2013 - 01:02 PM.

You got time to breathe... you got time for music....Denver Pyle

#4 Videokid

Videokid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

I found a KG2 that looks identical in the front but the rear is different. Mine has a sub woofer visible on the back above where the wires connect. A careful inspection near the wiring point provided no number or name at all. Completely bare.

#5 Videokid

Videokid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for your help. It looks like these are indeed, KG2 models but they are considered two- way bookshelf speakers.
Thanks again!

#6 billybob

billybob

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

That rear is a passive radiator:

http://www.klipsch.com/kg-2/details

#7 Videokid

Videokid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the link. I'm beginning to understand. Having second thoughts now that I've done some research and will probably hold onto these fine speakers!

#8 billybob

billybob

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:59 PM   Best Answer

LOL, that was what I ended up doing myself when came here and sticking around the forum made me realize(ongoing) what I have.

Your welcome and bet they sound nice indeed.

#9 Sancho Panza

Sancho Panza

Klipsch Walnut Oiled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

They are very good speakers, & some don't have the PWK on the back passive. Fellow forum member Rivernuggetts sold me mine.

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC TC-P60UT50 PLASMA 3D HDTV, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK Blu ray (iPhone APPs), SONY STR-DE1075 (SB, HEIGHT), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 Blu ray/HD DVD, iPod nano 8 GB, COMCAST HD DVR, KLIPSCH La Scala, 1980, Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers with Sonicaps (THANKS to Forum Member snailtrax) FRONT, KLIPSCH HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE (Thanks to Forum Member Craig List), HERESY II CENTER (eBay) & SURROUND (Thanks to Forum Member Craig List), kg2 (THANKS to Forum Member Rivernuggets) Surround, kg1 SURROUND BACK, kg3 HEIGHT, RW-12d Subwoofer, km-rsw

#10 djk

djk

Klipsch Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

Those are second generation KG2, the first generation lacked the passive radiator.

Those are BC (before plastic input cup).

They sound pretty good, and can play loud with an electronic crossover and a subwoofer. If you use a 400W amp on them and a 1KW subwoofer, I recommend a 211-2 automotive lightbulb on the tweeter (don't ask how I know this).

Edited by djk, 01 November 2013 - 11:55 PM.

Golden Ear Audiophile hit with a brick "Oww, that hurts! I'm bleeding!" Tin Ear Meter Reader hit with a brick "You can't prove I was hit with a brick! We need to do a double blind ABX test!"

#11 Sancho Panza

Sancho Panza

Klipsch Walnut Oiled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

Those are second generation KG2, the first generation lacked the passive radiator.

Those are BC (before plastic input cup).

They sound pretty good, and can play loud with an electronic crossover and a subwoofer. I you use a 400W amp on them and a 1KW subwoofer, I recommend a 211-2 automotive lightbulb on the tweeter (don't ask how I know this).

I've seen photos of those old ones, wo the passive. Mine are BC, not marked, either.

Edited by sanchopanza, 01 November 2013 - 08:15 PM.

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

#12 Videokid

Videokid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Thanks all for the great information. I've learned a lot more than I ever imagined I would. Now I'm feeling like these are really special speaker and will find it hard to part with them.

#13 philly0116

philly0116

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • LocationArkansas...aka...'The Motherland'

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Thanks all for the great information. I've learned a lot more than I ever imagined I would. Now I'm feeling like these are really special speaker and will find it hard to part with them.

I wouldn't give them up.

www.still-relevant.com

#14 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

Tis a keeper, for sure!

Steve