A few Days with the RF-7ii & AMP opinions

quakana

Room is approx 14x33 and the speakers are up against/facing the 14' space. But I don't sit in front of them most of the time as I have music on when im running around the house. I crank them sometimes (right around 85db)and its really where I think they start to really kick)

Right now after the sony Blew up I am using the AV receiver I had for my outside speakers Yamaha RX-V690 in 2 channel mode

I listen (100%) to Apple Lossless files (ALAC) that I stream to an original apple TV connected to the receiver with RCA jacks

I think it sounds killer but understand it could probably sound better but at what cost so a couple questions

1. How much better sound would I get with a tube amp keeping in mind I like to listen loud so I am not sure if some of the vintage tube amps reconditioned would cut it for me?

2. Is there a play for a DAC somewhere in here?

3. I ran into the Emotiva amps/dacs and they would be more in my price budget so would they do the trick here w/o dropping a fortune?

4. How much better would just a plain old 2 channel yamaha or denon sound as opposed to the AV receivers?

Thanks in advance for your help

I can only comment on what I have experienced.

I have the Yamaha flagship RX-Z11 and while it does an excellent job on movies my H.H.Scott lk-72 blows it away for stereo music on my rf-7II's.

I use an OSD ATM-7 zone speaker selector to switch between the two amps and get the best of both worlds.

I am sure others here will have some other viable alternatives and opinions.

I can only comment on what I have experienced.

I have the Yamaha flagship RX-Z11 and while it does an excellent job on movies my H.H.Scott lk-72 blows it away for stereo music on my rf-7II's.

I use an OSD ATM-7 zone speaker selector to switch between the two amps and get the best of both worlds.

I am sure others here will have some other viable alternatives and opinions.

Thanks again I talked with the gentleman you spoke of and am still in decision mode I guess. He did mention that the 30 Watt amps would not get me to the higher DB's

Have you ever used a DB meter when listening for curiosity?

here is a video i made real quick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv2JKMDqCH4

you can see that of course the klipsch are very efficient, as we all know. and that actually is with the loudness on, and bass at +2 out of 6 on the pioneer. now i am sure they cornwalls make the bass a little easier than the rf-7ii's due to paper single 15 vs the dual cerametallic cones on the rf-7ii's. wish i had a pair of rf-7ii to run on em for you. hope this provides a little help.

• Like 1

here is a video i made real quick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv2JKMDqCH4

you can see that of course the klipsch are very efficient, as we all know. and that actually is with the loudness on, and bass at +2 out of 6 on the pioneer. now i am sure they cornwalls make the bass a little easier than the rf-7ii's due to paper single 15 vs the dual cerametallic cones on the rf-7ii's. wish i had a pair of rf-7ii to run on em for you. hope this provides a little help.

COOL!!! Thanks for doing that!

85db is just starting to get loud...

I hardly every go over that on my LaScalas, using my 3.5 watt amps. but my LS are a little more efficient. The Ref. series requires a lot more amp, though. You would need a hefty output tube amp for that if you wanted to go tubes.

Bruce

I have an amp switcher to go from my Yamaha M 80 amp that is 250 watts and the Yaqin VK 2100 integrated tube amp that is 80 watts. You will need over 40 watts to get real loud due to the dynamics in music. 40 watts will take you along way but, my meters definetly go over 40 watts at higher volume. The Yaqin can push the RF 7's to loud levels.

I used it to listen to music sitting around the pool one time this summer. The speakers were in the family room and I left the patio door and windows open. It was crazy loud in the house and the yaqin was handeling things without a problem with jazz music. Some other types of music led to some distortion for the 80 watt amp and I switched to the Yamaha M 80. An integrated tube amp is excellent for non-Heritage speakers that need the extra power and if you are not trying to fill the backyard, he he. I would guess the sound in the yard was around 80 db which is loud. There is a different sound between the Yaqin and ss gear as the volume goes up.

Edited by derrickdj1