Induction cooktops

oscarsear

Last July I finally sold the house and relocated to a newly constructed home. In the kitchen arena electric was mandatory. GACK, no gas range. So, I got a range with an induction cooktop. Now that I have had the thing for awhile I really gotta say induction is really grand. I have never enjoyed such fine control over heat and cooking. The thing is rocket-hot fast when you want it that way and steep easy when you want it that way. And the heat is always consistently even in the pan. There are no hot spots - the pan base is uniformly hot at whatever temp you decide. There is no radiant heat burning your hands and in fact there's no fire hazard at all. Spills do not flare and they do not turn into burnt-on carbon chunks. 1/2 inch from the pan base the cook surface is cold. Clean up is a breeze. So, if you need a cooktop...... check em out. My 0.02$ - woohoo!

I purchased a Nuwave (portable) Induction Cooktop I saw on an infomercial. Of course it was buy one get one free; and yes I was able to upgrade to the "PRO" model during checkout.

I'm really shocked as to how much I enjoy using it.

For around $100, I got two units, two "top notch" non stick pans, a fondue set-up, a pot (2" deep) and a cook book. As oscarsear mentioned the heating method is excellent.

Recommended.... :emotion-21:

Edited by Boxx

I've heard if a magnet sticks to it, the cookware will work. So no anodized aluminum.

Yes the cookware must be magnetic to work with induction cooking, so most normal aluminum and stainless steel won't work as these are usually non magnetic. However some stainless steel steel is magnetic and some aluminum cookware has magnetic discs in the bottom to allow them to be used with induction heating but don't just assume cookware will work as most aluminum or stainless won't work. Also a very flat, smooth bottom surface works best, some cast iron cookware with large cast in writing on the pan bottom does not work very well.

Pans and cookware sets are now marked (labeled) as to the types of heat surfaces they'll work with. Essentially what others have noted is correct. If a magnet sticks to the base it will work. Using these takes a bit of a learning curve. Any element on the 'hi' setting will get a pan seriously hot incredibly fast. They boil up a pan of water in just a few minutes and can evaporate one dry in no time at all. Lift the pan from the surface and active heating stops entirely until it is set back down. You pay more attention to making sure your pan bottoms are flat and clean. But heat is heat and once you get this figured out, the control of the surfaces is very nifty.