Crossover Network Comparison

muel

Here is an update on the ALK CornScala-Wall networks that I updated with Mundorf MCap EVO Aluminum Oil caps. I believe the EVO caps have made the networks sound a little more "open" but I'm not sure worth the $150 for the caps. I've had these on a solid state setup lately and need to put them back with a tube amp again. There was a little better resolution with that setup and the difference might be more apparent.

The biggest compliment I can give any component is that I stopped listening to the equipment and simply got lost in the music. With the EVO capped ALK CornScala-wall network on the Cornwalls and the Super AA's on the La Scalas I have moved on to other things. Now if I can just resolve my nagging room problem (short of moving)!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I thought I would update my network comparison post with more about what I've tried in the last year and a half or so.  

I once commented that the 30 bucks I spent for a crossover upgrade kit for a Heresy E network from Bob Crites was the best 30 bucks I ever spent on an upgrade.  Considering the condition (and sound) from the almost 40 year old caps it was definitely a big improvement!

I can't leave things alone I guess and Paul79 had told me years ago that I really needed to try Jupiter caps on my crossovers.  Because of the price I resisted though.   Around the time I heard they would be stopping production of their flat stack caps I decided I better make a move if I want to give them a try.  The E networks on the Heresy's (stock 1976 Heresy's) were the cheapest to try even though I was basically spending almost as much as I paid for the speakers in the first place.   I had to use 2.2uF instead of 2 since that is all Jupiter had available.   No matter... they sound excellent!   Oh boy this sounded good!  I HAD to do this on the Cornwalls in the living room!  

I had a pair of B networks that I bought as spares a long time ago and since I had NEVER heard Cornwalls with a stock network before.  My first experience with Cornwalls was with the original ALK B replacement networks.  For these stock 1967 Cornwalls, I took the B networks and converted them to B2 networks and installed new Jupiter flat stacks.  Oh yes, this is good!   I know saying it is more "musical" isn't helpful to describe the experience to others but I'm at a loss for words how to describe.  More clear but not harsh... just... very nice and pleasurable... sit back and get lost in the music.

I won't bother trying to guess what the change was or why but I should have listened to Paul sooner.  I don't know what music filtered through Jupiter caps is doing to the stereocilia deep in the cochlea of my ears... but those little hairs stand up and dance to the music!   The neurotransmitters must be signalling a slightly different part of my brain.  I don't know what it is but I like it!   For those who prefer facts, figures and testing perhaps we need to see if a brain scan tells us anything.   I'm sure some would say I need my head checked for spending that much on caps.  Don't care... save your comments for another thread.  I'm just sharing my experience here.

Edited by muel
  • Like 1

Do you upgrade the crossovers one at a time and go switch back and forth for a time, or both together?

What is the life of a cap in a crossover? Like the Jupiter for example? It is a function of age, or hours of use, or a combination?

I've done one at a time but usually both together... also switched back and forth multiple times.  Usually spent at least a few days but more like weeks to months.  The differences between the networks is obvious to the ear... if I like it or not can take longer... cap differences have been more subtle but there.  The Mundorf EVO swap in the Cornscala-Wall was not nearly as significant to my ear as the Jupiter swap in the E networks.

I don't know about the cap life span... effects of heat, cold, age... a google search might tell us something.  It will be interesting 20, 30, 40 years from now when perhaps somebody is talking about these old "jupiter" caps in their Heritage speakers.  However long they last I hope that someone takes care of these speakers as a whole for another 40 or 50 years and beyond!  

• Like 1

The Jupiters are very well made, and because of the high quality construction, will out-live the majority of owners. I consider them "fully protected".

At the beginning of the new year, there will be another Roadshow. I will be sending out a pair of Type AA crossovers built with Jensen paper in oil capacitors and the new parts UT is building for me. The last time I did a Roadshow I received so many orders, I was backed up for six months. This time will be different, because I will either be retired from this, limit orders, or just sell kits. Whatever I decide to do, the one thing I won't do is put my customers in the position of having to wait forever for their order.

The simple network is, well, simple. You find some drivers that have some relatively linear behavior and you tie them together. The network performs the minimal; establishes the transition points, balances the output, and offers some protection for the high frequency drivers.

Paper in oil capacitors do not measure very well by today's standards. I've read that the DA component is the reason they sound the way they do, but I honestly don't know.

The first order midrange filter does unload a lot energy into the driver, and if you're using the K-400/K-401, the sound will pinch up and distort at higher volume levels. In average size rooms, peaks of 115dB will be about it. Now, that doesn't mean they don't sound good loud, they do -- they just have their limits.

Just like the last Roadshow, this will be more of an experiment. We are once again going to find out if I'm full of shit or not. It's okay, I'm not worried.

Edited by Deang