In-Ceiling Rear Surround

SuBXeRo

Pictures to accompany.

I have my couch butted up to my rear wall with no good side walls. The fiance said niet to the rear in-walls i picked up so i am looking for an in-ceiling option. Anyone have this where the speakers are directly above you? Looking to do a 5.2 or 7.2 in the rear so just the addition of 2 or 4 drivers. Acoustic Sound Design has a BOGO sale going on the CDT-5800's. $400 for 2 is....OK, $800 for 4 just got spendy but they will timbre match as best as possible.

Any thoughts on how it will sound coming from the ceiling and not necessarily behind you?

Edited by SuBXeRo

• Moderators

I installed some for my sister but there a few feet behind the sofa and the ceiling is 10'.

It sounds good, I think it would be a big improvement over no rears, they could always be slightly lower in volume to give you the surround effect without sounding like there right over your head.

One other way I have heard the same situation as yours that worked well was they used the rears on the ground pointing straight up, one on each side behind the sofa with volume adjusted accordingly, sounds crazy but worked well, very good surround effect and you could not tell where it was coming from, and no holes in the ceiling.

I had to go check i thought I had some but it turned out to be a different model R 2800 C, could have saved you well over $300.

Edited by dtel

• Moderators

Nice looking space you have I like the colors also, painting is a pain when all you really want is to get it back together.

After looking at McMiRA's picture I realized my rears are above the sofa also, sucks getting old ! :o I didn't think of it because it's not a wall there just a beam and there not pointing straight down but close enough.

the space is coming along for sure. I am working at getting the stuff wire in wall with banana plug wall plates for clean installs all around. I am wiring for bi-wire/bi-amp for a 5.2 with XLR plates for the subs on each side of the room. The rear jacks could be done for a 7 channel if you don't do the "Bi" thing. Obviously if i do in-ceiling you dont really need the lower plates which are near the floor behind the couch but I am going to prewire for that anyways. I figure i might as well since i am going to be an attic monkey for a day.

I could even install the RCW's i have to the left and right of the tv/fireplace and have front inwalls but that would be for a situation where the 7's went into hiding for whatever reason. Not bad for the holidays i suppose.

I have 4 CDT5800s in my ceiling doing rear and side surround duty. Sounds good to me, much better than nothing. And they are high WAF. On Sunday with Sunday night football on my wife was asking where the crowd noises were coming from, she thought someone was outside whistling trying to get our attention.

Eric

• Like 1