Time Aligning KHorn Tweeter?

absolve2525

I did this on my LaScalas. I don't get any readily apparent confusion from reflections off the tops of my LS. The mid to high freq. seemed clearer, making the sound stage more solid. I keep referring to this, because it made a huge difference.

Bruce

post-5045-0-42240000-1385065220_thumb.jp

That's a nice looking and novel way to align the tweeters. The Khorns are so tall, however, making me wonder how much higher i should be raising the tweeters. Perhaps some sound absorbing foam etc would help reflections. What tweeter is that btw? Thanks for the reply

Edited by absolve2525

The tweeter driver is an APT50, the same driver Bob Crites sells. The horn is an Eminence APT150 flare, 100x50 constant directivity.

I tried different materials on the top of the cabinet (foam, carpet, etc.) but didn't notice a difference. I'm not saying it won't make any difference, but I did'nt hear a change that would make me leave the stuff on top of the cabs. If you can make some baffles, this is easy to try. They just rest on top and you can move them around to try different positions.

Bruce

The tweeter driver is an APT50, the same driver Bob Crites sells. The horn is an Eminence APT150 flare, 100x50 constant directivity.

How do you like the tweeter/horn combo? I have a pair of blown K77's for a pair of Speakerlab / K Horns and have been looking for an affordable tweeter to replace the K77s. The APT50 is the driver that I was planning on using, but I do not have a horn picked out yet.

Before replacing my La Scala stock-sized mid-horns for the EV HR-90's I had to find another place for the tweeters. I simply placed them on top of the cabinets and positioned them in the middle; sounded more open compared with them in the original place.

Also soundstage became wider. I always wondered about that; the original [ rear-] mounting of the tweeters looks kinda weird.....

Go ahead and place them on top; if they're a bit high, tilt them a bit downwards so they will "beam" nicely to the sweetspot. You could be in for a nice surprise.

I played with electronic correction of time delay for all k-horns drivers using an active crossover and triamping and frankly could not consistently hear the difference, I eventually dumped that rig and went back to a normal crossover and tube amp. not to naysay those who say there is a difference, but I could not verify the benefits of time alignment well enough to keep the complexity and cost. warm regards, Tony

How do you like the tweeter/horn combo? I have a pair of blown K77's for a pair of Speakerlab / K Horns and have been looking for an affordable tweeter to replace the K77s. The APT50 is the driver that I was planning on using, but I do not have a horn picked out yet.

Chris,

I found the imaging and depth to be outstanding with these horns on top. My older son had bought them for a project, but I ended up getting them from him. These are the original APT50 drivers like the ones Bob first used in his CT125s. My son had just purchased the 100x50 horn that goes with them. They are only $35 from PE, horn and driver together.

I also have a the pair of Bob's CT125s that I pulled out of the cabinets when I added these. I'll use one or the other in the second set of LS that I have slowly been working on.

Bruce