Want to hear a pair of Cornwall III speakers in the Portland OR area

Viktors

you're going to need to use the dealer locator on the Klipsch website and call them to see if they actually stock the item... you MAY find someone here that has a cornwall 1/2 that might be willing to let you come over to hear it at there home.

I was wondering if anyone in the Portland Oregon area has a pair of Cornwall III speakers I could listen to before buying my own. Or, does anyone know a store which happens to have these in the showroom? Thanks.

I have a friend here in Arkansas with a pair! Come on down! In all honesty though, I'll take a CW1 or CW2 any day. Difference in sound, however slight, doesn't justify the vast difference in price, IMHO. I have '64 CW cabinets with all Crites parts and his CW3's sound no better to me.

Edited by philly0116

you're going to need to use the dealer locator on the Klipsch website and call them to see if they actually stock the item... you MAY find someone here that has a cornwall 1/2 that might be willing to let you come over to hear it at there home.

I did contact Klipsch and they suggested that I post a request in this forum. The dealers apparently do not stock the Cornwall III and it is sold via direct orders from Klipsch. So I still hope to hear from someone in Oregon or maybe Washington.

In all honesty though, I'll take a CW1 or CW2 any day. Difference in sound, however slight, doesn't justify the vast difference in price, IMHO.
I agree with this, sad to say. I listened to the CIII when it first came out, and thought Klipsch had a rare misfire by going to a 700 Hz horn and then crossing it at 800. The old 600 Hz horn had great presence just where it counted for most types of music

Supposedly they couldn't design and make a new metal K-600 at an acceptable cost. But I could never figure out why they didn't use the newer plastic K-601, which exists currently. Anyway, I was very disappointed in the CIII mids. Seems like a classic case of confusing the value of mere frequency response with that of the large radiating area of a big HORN. Whatta flub!

I have not heard them side by side but you would save a ton of cash going with a nice set of cornwall 1s used. Plus if you ever want to sell them you will be able to sell them for what they cost you. So that way its no risk. Im sure the 3s sound good but from what others have said the 3s use the h3 horns and the old cornwalls used the same drivers as the khorns (not the horn but the drivers)

Edited by reference_head

Another thing I would like to point out, someone correct me if Im wrong. It seems to me the me that the veneer on the CW3 is quite a bit thinner than what is on the CW1 or CW2. Also, for what it's worth, Cornwall 3 is MDF. Its predecessor is plywood, that makes a difference.