How much poer do I need for Klipschorns?

RAFellows

I also have never tried to reproduce disco or rock-and-roll concert levels

This is the reason I have my 5.0 Klipsch Loudspeaker rig. 3 to 10 watts will reproduce live Led Zeppelin, Metallica etc concert levels at home.

The loudest band I have experienced was 10 feet from The Edgar Winter Group in a very small room. I don't think I could get my 5 horns to go that loud, but close. :D I might try tonight at Midnight!

Happy New Year to all.........chris

Finally, someone really gets it.

I have a larger room (20x20) and prefer more power like garyrc. They max out at 100 watts and that is what I'm running now. I'd like to have a tube amp and looking for at least 60 watts per channel.

In my case it is not about turning it up louder.

Exactly! To all of us, I suspect that "loud" would be 80 - 90 dB, which would be a max of about 1 watt in my large room, at 15 feet, with Khorns, BUT if a 115 dB peak comes along, who wouldn't rather have the necessary 63 watts PWK cited in the chart in Cask's linc? And who wouldn't want that amount of amp power available to each Khorn, just in case a very loud sound comes from one side only (as in some music, and many movies). In my room (larger than the 3,000 cu feet in the chart) the Crown/Harmon calculator tells me I would need almost 90 watts without their recommended 3 dB extra headroom for emergences, and almost 180 watts with the 3 dB safety margin. The figure would be even higher if Crown/Harmon wasn't factoring in room gain and reverb.

It is certainly not about turning it up, at least not with a large symphony orchestra heard close up.* Someone with Khorns and a 3 watt amplifier can play Fanfare for the Common Man (timpani!!! Tam Tam!!!) at an average of 90 dB, and so can someone with a 200 watt amp, but the huge, broad peaks may clip the small amp.

You can't measure peaks with the "slow" setting -- I believe it needs to be "c" "fast." Even then some very brief peaks can be unread, if you have a meter that uses a needle, like some Rat Shack meters.

* If I could afford it, I would sit in about row 5 (center) for classical and modern orchestral concerts. I used to eat my lunch in front of one in rehersal in that row. As far back as 1939-40, when they were taking measurements for Disney's Fantasia, they were measuring 100 dB from the first row, and that was with the old meters of the day, which probably didn't register peaks accurately (Scientific American, Peck 1941). PWK once wrote that meters read the loudest peaks about 13 dB low (that was in the 1970s, I think).

Edited by Garyrc