Santa may have come a bit early! In-Ceiling Speaker Install

SuBXeRo

I pulled the trigger an got a BOGO deal from Mike at Acoustic Sound Design and im starting my in-ceiling install saga. I also received my monoprice install package, muhahahahaha. Of course, pictures or this thread is worthless. I bought 8" drivers to match with the rest of the set so hopefully i should have big sound from all around. I am going to do a 7.2 surround with this setup with the rear 4 channels in ceiling. This is due to WAF, yes i got WAF'ed, i never thought it would happen but i have hit opposition on the front line. We got a huge new couch which butts up against the rear wall so this is going to be a really interesting install since things will be right above us. These drivers are cool though, both the tweeter and woofer all swivel. I am planning to start snaking wires this weekend and fortunately the house came a bit pre-wire by the last owner. He ran wires for a 5 channel so i am just going to use his wires as guides. He has like 16 gauge, BAH and its not CL2 rated. I purchased some bi-wire monoprice CL2 cable and some single channel CL2 12 gauge wire so that i can setup bi-wire for the fronts and center. I also got XLR plates for the walls so that it can be a super clean install. I have my work cutout for me since its all open attic, nothing finished and I have looked for wires before and haven't found them. I have also never done in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.

klipschc1.jpg

klipschc2.jpg

klipschc3.jpg

klipschc4.jpg

monoprice1.jpg

Ok nothing to do with speakers but here my lionel train set and north pole village!!!

trainset.jpg

Edited by SuBXeRo

I bought some RCW-5's for rear in-wall but the one that completes me said nay nay. I thought it was great because it was the RS-7 beasties on the wall or my RB-5's. I can tell you this though, i wouldnt have bought these In-Ceilings at all if it wasn't BOGO. $400 a speaker is ridiculous when there isn't a finished enclosure to go with it. It was tough to drop the $800 on the 4 but I am hoping we will have this house for some time and it will pay off in the end. I hate buying speakers that can migrate with me. I mean, i suppose i could pay someone to patch the ceilings when/if we move but yeah.

I will have some good photos I hope this weekend when things start to come together. I have to dismantle the system because we have to paint the in-wall center which is TV-Center-Amp-Processor etc and to cut holes for junction boxes. I think thats somewhat first on the list because the girlie can paint for me while i cut holes in her ceiling, i mean ours, i mean i think its ours.

• Moderators

I bet your going to be very surprised, I was the first time I heard the Reference in-walls at the Pilgrimage in Indy . I walked right past them not even paying attention, until they were turned on.

Great price.

Here is the finished product with all of the drivers set in the ceiling. What a dog this was. Tons of crawling back and forth to ensure correct fitment and that i didn't hit any AC wires. One of the speakers is close to about 6 AC power lines, eeps! I have to build some Styrofoam enclosures as recommended by Klipsch tech support when i called to help keep the drivers free of debris. I have blown cellulose insulation up there and that crap gets everywhere. They also recommended i make the enclosures 1.5 cuft or larger to maintain the IB specs so that's just what i will do.

I still have to paint the grills to match and actually snake the wiring. I have more crawling to do up there and this time i need a mask for sure.

I'll tell you this, my body hurts. I mean, everywhere. From being an attic ninja to working above my head, my upper-body feels like it just got beat up by a bodybuilder. I worked about 13 hours straight almost. This project isn't for the lazy and I hope my hard work pays off in the end. I am trying to get this all done before family comes out on the 20th so its a bit of a hustle.

klipschC5.jpg

klipschC6.jpg

klipschC7.jpg

klipschC8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So last night at 9:00pm i finished the install. I had geek squad come out and they couldn't do the install. I wound up running wires out my roof ventilation holes and down the back of the entertainment niche and then wires outside the walls to the left and right channels. Basically, running in-wall was a bust here because of house design and fire breaks. It was a lot of work and so worth it!

We watched the hobbit not 30 mins after the install with my family and my fiances family all present and everyone was really impressed. I am pretty much dumbfounded that i turned everything on, did a level calibration manually to ensure all channels worked and were hooked up right and everything was. Jaw dropped. I guess the big man upstairs gave me a one up for christmas haha.

Pics to come!

We watched the hobbit not 30 mins after the install with my family and my fiances family all present and everyone was really impressed. I am pretty much dumbfounded that i turned everything on, did a level calibration manually to ensure all channels worked and were hooked up right and everything was. Jaw dropped. I guess the big man upstairs gave me a one up for christmas haha.

Great job! just in time for a nice Holiday Season. Best wishes and Merry Xmas.

So far, things have been working well. I didn't think things would sound as smooth as they do coming from the ceiling. The neat fact is that humans are more sensitive to horizontal changes in noise than vertical which I've heard is the way we evolved, being dominant and not having to worry about things killing us from above so we honed in our horizontal hearing.

I have been messing with trims to make them more pronounced just because I like that. I'd rather hear them than almost not even know they are there. They have a good size sound too. Its not as big and open as say a bigger bookshelf but still fits the 7's in the right way and have no issues playing whatever is thrown at them