WTB 5 or 7 channel amp

derrickdj1

I think the most I want to spend is up to $750. But, it has to be the right amp. A three channel is also a consideration. I am not looking for something 100 lbs. I have thought about the Carver Sunfire Cinema Grand. The Carver amps pack plenty of power in a small box. The good thing is I am in no rush. It just does not seem right to get something that is less than I already have in the avr,lol. It may not really make a big difference in available power but, I feel that surrounds can benefit from a good power amp as well as the mains. The surround have a lower sensitivity and can draw a lot of power. This was the case when I had the RS 35's on the Yamaha M 70 amp. On average the meters always showed more power use for the surrounds that for the RF 7's. At that time I had the 7's and 35's both on M 70's. This is more of something I want and not so much as a definet need. :) There was an Emotiva 3 ch. amp on Ebay but, I don't want to take the risk and end up with hiss, hum or something else related to the gain structure of the amp that a few of the members have experienced.

Edited by derrickdj1

Just got an Adcom GFA 5503 3 channel amp 200/350 watts. I considered the B&K 5 channel 200 watt amp but it needs a 20 amp circuit. I am comfortable running everything off two 15 amp separate curcuits, one on each side of the TV console. Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited by derrickdj1

Just got an Adcom GFA 5300 3 channel amp 200/350 watts.

Congratulations.

Did you find that on c-list. I am not positive where you reside but I think I saw one of the 5503's on the Detroit c-list.

Did you mean 5503 instead of 5300? The 5300 is a stereo amp.

Bill

I found this one on Ebay for a little over $300 yesterday. You are right it is a 5503, three channel amp.. When you mentioned, consider a 3 channel amp in the other post, I said that will work. I will run the center and FH speakers off the amp. The 5 channel B&K should be on a 20 amp curcuit. This was less than I planned on so maybe I will get another sub or build one, lol. Maybe I don't need another sub, lol.

I found this one on Ebay for a little over $300 yesterday.

Very nice price. :emotion-21:

You are right it is a 5503, three channel amp.

I was not trying to split hairs but just wanted to make sure you got what you paid for.

When you mentioned, consider a 3 channel amp in the other post, I said that will work. I will run the center and FH speakers off the amp.

I was thinking, what a waste to not use those quality Pioneer Elite amps.

Enjoy,

Bill

I have a Mcintosh 7106 I would sell for $1000 plus any shipping or paypal fees, it was my "daily driver" till I went tubes recently. it is 6 100 watt channels but it has multi bridging options, I used it as a 3 channel 300 wpc to drive my Klipschorns with Belle center,

Where are you located? I am in MA.

I have the original double box, but it is missing the foams, I am sure it could be safely packed but it is heavy,

Ed

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally picked up th Acurus amp from Dean G last nite. The amp looks brand new. I can't wait to get it home and take for a spin. First I have to get thru this snow storm/blizzard in the Midwest today. I hope to add this to my signature.

Edited by derrickdj1