Matching stereo receiver to my new RF 62 Speakers !

Rookie

Need some help. I have bought Kliptch RF 62 speakers & Yamaha RS 300 Stereo receiver. The speaker wattage is 125 Watts per channel & the receiver is 50 watts per channel . I like overall sound when I am watching movies but don;t get that punch of bass while listeing music . I read in the forums that RF 62 are bright speakers & Yamaha receivers is not a good match . Would I get more bass with higher wattage receiver , say 100 watts per channel ?? What brands & watts of receiver I should look for ? thanks !

Rookie,

Welcome to the forum.

I would not say that the RF-62's are "bright", just revealing. Bad recordings sound......bad. Good recordings sound good.

A receiver with 100w/channel will not necessarily provide you with the punch you desire. If your Yamaha had stereo preouts, I would suggest a quality outboard amplifier. It looks like the RS300 does not have a subwoofer preout either. My 80w/channel Integra DTM-40.4 has plenty of punch and bass drive to get the woofers in my Heresys and RB-35's going.  It has stereo preouts if I wanted to add an amp and subwoofer preouts. I have no problem suggesting the Onkyo TX-8050 network stereo receiver which is the Onkyo version of the Integra DTM-40.4. It too has stereo preouts and a subwoofer preout.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTX8050/Onkyo-TX-8050-2-Channel-Network-Stereo-Receiver/1.html

I don't know if you are within the window of returning your Yamaha and getting something else.

Here is the step up model Yamaha that does have stereo preouts and subwoofer preout. Looks to be a very nice piece.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/YAMRS700BL/YAMAHA-R-S700-Natural-Sound-Stereo-Receiver/1.html#!specifications

The RS700 does not have the network capablities of the TX-8050 which I like but you may not need.

Bill

Edited by willland

Switching avr's is the easiest thing to do. I don't think you need an external amp as much as you need a good sub. The 62's woofers are no match for a good sub. The only other way to get more bass is with a passive sub connecter to the speakers. They are getting harder to find since people like powered subs.

Edited by derrickdj1

Thanks guys , just checked my RS 300 .It has a subwoofer preout . Spoke to the dealer & going to see some subs. They are around NZ$500 + . Also would check RS 700 to see the price difference in case I plan tp upgrade the receiver. He is happy to xchange as well . :) . Shall let you know soon . Cheers !

• Like 1

Receivers really have no useful place in audio if music is your thing.

Shakey

Shakey,

Under most situations, I would totally agree. For at least a half a year, I powered my recapped and CT-125'd Heresys with an 80's/90's Luxman R-117 receiver and no other combination(preamp/amp, integrated amp) made my Heresys sound that good. Unmatched punch, detailed mids/highs, and spot on imaging. I agonized for some time on this decision, but I sold the Luxman after I bought(free) my Integra DTM-40.4 receiver. I lost about 5% in overall sound quality, 10% in headroom, 5% in midbass punch, 0% in imaging/soundstage/detail, but gained network capabilities, wired and wireless, built in Pandora, Spotify, etc., and music file streaming.

Bill

Does Integra still sell the DTM 40.4, or has it been discontinued?

They do still sell it but for a fraction of the price, the Onkyo TX-8050 is 98% the same as the Integra DTM-40.4. Only difference that I can tell is the Integra has a zone 2 subwoofer preout also and a detachable power cord.

This

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTX8050/Onkyo-TX-8050-2-Channel-Network-Stereo-Receiver/1.html

with this

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKUWF1A/Onkyo-UWF-1-Wireless-USB-Network-Adapter-NEW/1.html

Bill

Great, thanks Bill. I've been looking to maybe get a different pre for my 2 channel rig, and something that also has a remote =P

If you don't have to have all the modern features of the TX-8050, grab one of these B&K PT-3II's. Excellent tuner and subwoofer preouts also.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/147163-b-k-pt3-series-2-preamp/

Bill

I like Harman Kardon for stereo receivers. Albeit, there are a ton of awesome stereo receivers out there, HK is my go to. They are also the brand of the first receiver ever made! Just cool history associated with the brand. My HK that sits in my office has been going for about 13 year now and still sounds as wonderful as the day my dad got it for me.

I would get the HK 3439 http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/hk/us/products/HK-3490/HK%203490_HK_US?skuId=HK%203490_HK_US&searchMode=regularProductOnly if i had to buy a new receiver.

Yesterday I could hear a couple of subwoofers . The dealer suggested Velodyne impact 12" subwoofer for my Yamaha RS300 & Klipsch pair . Costs around NZ$822.

which fits in my budget . Also thinking should I upgrade to 5.1 channel receiver , just incase , in future I plan to add speaker to make a HT. Would it matter if I play only two front RF 662's & a sub on a 5.1 receiver ? They have a few options to fit my budget Denon DAVRX500B , Yamaha RXV 375 & Pioneer VSX323 ?? Or just stick to the my Yamaha RS 300 stereo ?? My use would be movies as well as music . Any suggestions would be helpfull . Thanks !

The dealer suggested Velodyne impact 12" subwoofer for my Yamaha RS300 & Klipsch pair . Costs around NZ$822.

For music with your 2 channel setup I think the Velodyne will be fine. For future HT aspirations, a more impactful sub may be in order.

Also thinking should I upgrade to 5.1 channel receiver , just incase , in future I plan to add speaker to make a HT.

If I were you, I would wait on the 5.1/7.1 receiver for when you do decide to got for HT. With the receivers you have mentioned, I think your 2-channel/2.1 music playback will suffer. All models mentioned are near entry level receivers and they will not be as "future proof" as the upper models of each of the brands. Also, as you wait to fully dive in to HT, your budget may be able to grow a bit so your choices would be broader.

Just a few thoughts before you take a bigger plunge.

Merry Christmas,

Bill

Gave a bit of a thought . I don't mind spending a bit more looking at long run . Don't mind adding more speakers slowly . So I am checking some mid to high end av reveivers . The two the dealer recommended are Yamaha RXV 675 7.2 ch & Pioneer VSX 1123 7.2 ch amps. I could connect pioneer to Klipsch rf 62 there & heard them , Sounded good . Good base & sounded warm while playing on pure direct . He somehow could not connect yamaha !! He also mentioned that Pioneer have a few more futures like 4k pass through to future proof . Again I am a liitel hesitant with Yamaha knowing they are bright apms . Getting a bit inclined towards Pioneer . Have anyone have any experience of Pioneer amps with Klipsch ?? Thanks !

Need some help. I have bought Kliptch RF 62 speakers & Yamaha RS 300 Stereo receiver. The speaker wattage is 125 Watts per channel & the receiver is 50 watts per channel . I like overall sound when I am watching movies but don;t get that punch of bass while listeing music . I read in the forums that RF 62 are bright speakers & Yamaha receivers is not a good match . Would I get more bass with higher wattage receiver , say 100 watts per channel ?? What brands & watts of receiver I should look for ? thanks !

EQ the bass up when you listen to 2ch. If you bump it up your seekers will pound bass.

Great, thanks Bill. I've been looking to maybe get a different pre for my 2 channel rig, and something that also has a remote =P

I started with a B&K pre for my 2ch. But it has no EQ so i got a emotiva umc-1. I like my B&K amp over the emo amp But the umc has a nice EQ and sounds a lot better than the B&K. The best part it cost me around 250 used on ebay. I was shocked how good it sounds. Really impressive.

I am an old guy...and back in the day we didn't have SUB's and the speakers we used provided plenty of Bass. No offense to anyone here but I firmly believe the AV receivers of today are junk for 2 channel audio and that stating a "sub" is the solution is not the best answer and that is just My opinion. I think an old 2 channel amp/preamp is what is needed and that the AV receivers just cant provide really good 2 channel sound while playing music

I would also keep in mind that if its Apple AAC files you are playing they are garbage to begin with and garbage in = garbage out

You can get a sub and hook it up and IMO it will just mask the fact that if you turn the sub off....the music sounds well....not all that good.....if it starts off sounding not all that good...how can adding a bunch of bass make it sound good?

Get the sound "good" first and then if you want yet more Bass...add subs

• Like 2