Choosing between Denon AVR X4000 and X3000

dewthedru

I'm looking to get another receiver and I've liked the reviews I've seen on the Denon X4000. both are at least 7.2, both have dual HDMI out, and both have the Audyssey (Audyssey MultEQ XT for the 3k and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 & Audyssey SubEQ HT for the 4k)

It seems the only major difference to me given my immediate and future plans is the power output.

X4000

125 Watts Power Output Per Channel(20Hz-20kHz, 0.08%THD@8ohm)

165 Watts Power Output Per Channel(1kHz, 0.7%THD@6ohm)

235 Watts Maximum Power Output Per Channel

X3000

105 Watts Power Output Per Channel(20Hz-20kHz, 0.08%THD@8ohm)

135 Watts Power Output Per Channel(1kHz, 0.7%THD@6ohm)

215 Watts Maximum Power Output Per Channel

The X4000 does have "​Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit – D.D.S.C - HD" technology....whatever that means.

http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Pages/ProductComparision.aspx?CatId=avreceivers(denonna)&pids=avrx3000(denonna)|avrx4000(denonna)

My question is, am I going to notice the lack of power with the X3000? I'm running a Klipsch system with a RC-35, RF-35's, and (4) RS-35's. There's a $400 difference between the two units and I'd rather not spend it if I don't "have" to.

Thanks!

FWIW, you won't be able to hear a difference between 15 watts. The other features might be worth the $400 difference but don't buy it for the 15 watts.

Do either have amp preouts?

I'm sorry but I don't know enough to tell. Here's the back of the X4000

http://usa.denon.com/Assets/images/products/AVR-X4000/EL_avrX4000_e3_bk_re.jpg

Here's the back of the X3000

http://usa.denon.com/Assets/images/products/AVR-X3000/EL_avrX3000_e3_bk_re.jpg

Edited by dewthedru

• Moderators

Thx for the images. The 3000 does not have preouts for all channels but the 4000 does. If you ever decide to add a power amp to your setup, you will not be able to do it with the 3000. You will need to upgrade your receiver first. Just something to think about.

Thx for the images. The 3000 does not have preouts for all channels but the 4000 does. If you ever decide to add a power amp to your setup, you will not be able to do it with the 3000. You will need to upgrade your receiver first. Just something to think about.

Thanks! That's something to consider seeing as If I have it as long as I've had my current receiver, that could be an issue in my next house if I want to go bigger.

Plus, I think I can get a refurbished X4000 for about the same price as a new X3000.

I would have no problem buying a refurb. Carries same warranty as new

not sure where you heard this but usually the denon comes a 1 year warranty on refurbs oppsed to 3 on their new hihger end products.

i would go with the 4000 no questions asked for the pre outs and the xt-32.

• Moderators

I would have no problem buying a refurb. Carries same warranty as new

not sure where you heard this but usually the denon comes a 1 year warranty on refurbs oppsed to 3 on their new hihger end products.

Thx for the correction. I "assumed" it was the same as some other companies that offer the same warranty for refurbs.