What receiver should I use for my Ultra 2

RTC1234

Just recently made a deal of a life time My neigbour had to move away and couldn't sell his Ultra 2 speakers Over the years I had done a lot of work for him , lawn, shovel snow , build a deck etc.... I never ever asked for money He sold them to me for 1000.00 They are roughly 7 years old I thnk

Now What receiver should I use ( don't have a lot of money for a 8000 dollar one

Get a used Flagship Pioneer, Onkyo, Marantz, Harmon Kardon or Denon. The Pioneers Elites can be found for a good price. One just sold in the garage sale section for around $700. Put a WTB in the garage sale section. Welcom to a great forum.

Edited by derrickdj1

• Moderators

Pics or it didn't happen. :P $1000 for that setup is a fantastic deal of a lifetime for sure.

That's awesome! Welcome to the forums. Seriously, we would love to see some pics of them. I don't think anyone needs to spend $8000 on a receiver. What is your budget for a receiver? You might be able to consider going with separates, especially if you buy used. I might be selling my B&K 200.7 (200 watt x 7) amp. If interested, shoot me a PM.

• Like 1

the ultras are sealed enclosures and have a lower efficiency than most klipsch. On paper, I would think that some additional power under the hood would be beneficial. If you choose a receiver, be weary of the one you do. Try to find some legitimate bench tests of the unit. I usually consult hometheatereview.com or soundandvision.com

the ultras are sealed enclosures and have a lower efficiency than most klipsch. On paper, I would think that some additional power under the hood would be beneficial. If you choose a receiver, be weary of the one you do. Try to find some legitimate bench tests of the unit. I usually consult hometheatereview.com or soundandvision.com

thanks guys I have a Nad 7100 that I have been using on my old speakers Will hook it up to see how it sounds When I get my Ultra 2 up and running will take a pic

Pics or it didn't happen. :P $1000 for that setup is a fantastic deal of a lifetime for sure.

That's awesome! Welcome to the forums. Seriously, we would love to see some pics of them. I don't think anyone needs to spend $8000 on a receiver. What is your budget for a receiver? You might be able to consider going with separates, especially if you buy used. I might be selling my B&K 200.7 (200 watt x 7) amp. If interested, shoot me a PM.

Hi youthman We went for a demo and they had a Denon ( Retail 8000.00) hooked up to the Ultra 2 s The system sounded great but was looking to spend around 750.00

• Moderators

You can get a nice receive for $750, especially if you are willing to buy used. I paid $400 for a Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver and it worked great for powering my RF-83, RC-64 and at the time RS-52's. When I added an additional 2 speakers for a 7.1 setup, it really lost a lot of umph and dynamics.

Yes I agree most of the spec sheets are inaccurate I would look up reviews with more accurate bench tests. I have heard some of the new Denon avrs are more powerful/accurate with the specs. The Ultras aren’t radically inefficient compared to lots of other brands in the price range but compared to the reference line they require more juice to get them up and going. Any 200 watt per channel amp is more than enough for them though. Movies move up and down the chart and def come through nicely with a large power supply.

Yikes I wouldn’t spend 8k on a receiver id def. split that money up to add weight (amps) and get a nice AVR like youth said. AVRs are the one piece of equipment that get outdated really quickly. I spent a nice amount of coin on my Pre/amp the D2V but it is upgradable constantly through Anthem which is a nice upside. It also came with the ARC room correction which to my understanding is the best out there for equalizing your theater room. 50 watts per channel def. isn’t enough for the ultras if you like to crank it up (my elite SC55) struggled at times when I had it at higher volumes with the more efficient 83s and I completely agree with Youth and looking into separates for more control and detail on the mid’s and low end. There are plenty of people on here to help you spend your money and you will be very happy with the outcome. They certainly guided my hand over time.

I run the Ultra IIs with the Emotiva UMC-1 and the UPA-7 amp. In other posts I have flirted with the idea of what to do with the receiver / separates debate… but my current path is to update to the XMC-1 when it is released (on waiting list now) and keep running separates.

I agree with the above posters… that 50 watts per channel isn't going to push the speakers the way you intend. If I were you and trying to keep the costs down… I'd recommend finding a user Pioneer Elite receiver (doesn't matter the age… just make sure it has hdmi).

• Like 1