Little bass from K-horns

loudandclear

If it weren't for the sub I would not have any bottom end, its like listening to "big sounding" Heresy's!All the bass is going to the sub for some reason. As i stated before the highs and mids are amazing!Im thinking about trying a different receiver. Any thoughts. I should note is predominately the sub producing the bass. Maybe thats just the way it is!

Edited by loudandclear

If it weren't for the sub I would not have any bottom end, its like listening to "big sounding" Heresy's!All the bass is going to the sub for some reason. As i stated before the highs and mids are amazing!Im thinking about trying a different receiver. Any thoughts.

Scratching head.... :wacko:

What does it sound like when you turn the sub off in the Yamaha?

Have you removed the Heresy's to figure out if the just the k-horns work correctly without them? Also, if you only run the bass on the k-horns, is there any reasonable output? The only times I thought k-horns didn't have bass (hooked up to solid state) was when they were hooked wrong or the room was too small since you have to have some room between you and the speakers to let them develop bass. I've had four or five pairs in different rooms and different amplification to know. I've also had them hooked up to my 5150 without issue though not a great match.

BTW, how long have you had the k-horns and were they ever right?

I have played only the k-horns by themselves and also omitted the sub still not much bottom end. I purchased the speakers from the original owner about 8 months ago, they were 100% original,I did update the tweeters and caps (crites). The guy i purchased them from has passed on ha was a bachelor. So don't know a lot of history about them other than they are in awesome cosmetic condition and appears that he was fairly fussy. He powered them with a NAD receiver thats about all I know about his set-up. BTW my room size is small 16x16. The reason I am running them in parallel is because I dig the sound it produces. I sit in the middle of the room and all four speakers are toed at 45 degrees. The Heresy's do what they are designed to do. Fill in. Hope this helps describe my situation. Thanks. P.S. maybe the room is just too friggin small and I can't let them open up!

Edited by loudandclear

did you listen to them before you upgraded the tweeters and the caps, i'm on my 4th set of k-horns and my current set is from 69 and they didn't seem to have much bass until i put the pipe insulation on the tail board and shoved them into the corner.

i suggest you pull them out of the corners and put your ear on the tail board to see if you hear anything.

Edited by Budman

i just went thru the same thing with my sub. why can't i get it to play loud with movies. had to turn the volume way up. went into my sunfire pre manual and it said it would be down 10 db's with the setting i was using. fixed that

Edited by Budman

I have a thought, so everybody run for cover! With the added mids and highs of the Heresy's, you may be suffering from too little bottom end. If you disconnect the sub and the heresy's, and just set the receiver to LARGE and nothing else connected, does it sound good?

Here's what I think is going on. By adding Heresy's, you are effectively adding a 6db boost to everything from about 55hz up. There is no boost between 30 and 55hz. That would leave the sub bass very much deficient in relation to the over 55hz sound. That is why when you have BOTH selected instead of SW, it sounds better. The sub is filling in that 6db!