1971 Cornwall C-WR-15

in the 10 years i've been on here i have never seen a cornwall from the factory with veneer like WR-MR without grill cloth. the motorboard has to be 1/16" shorter on all sides to accept the cloth. all the decorators came with flush fronts.

never seen a motorboard veneered in MR or WR either. all were BR

Edited by Budman

Thanks Mungkiman. Cool to have the '71 pricelist. Klipsch clearly offered to install grillcloth on unfinished Klipschorns so I'd assume they would have done the same for Cornwalls. Like I say, A cat got to my cane grills so If I replace them I want to know what if anything should be on there to be more authentic. Sending the crossover networks to Bob Crites for a rebuild this week. Somebody replaced the caps at some point but I have no way of knowing when so I'm going to start over with a Crites rebuild.

Cane is certainly authentic, and one of my favorites. The original Klipsch cane is nearly impossible to find, but Wendell Fabrics has a nice version. Here are some photos of some upgrade work from Greg Roberts of Volti Audio: http://www.klipschupgrades.com/tkhorn.shtml

I believe Bob Crites sells black cloth if you'd rather go that route.

Ill have to take some pics tonight. and no they didn't have grills. They were in bad shape and there were mouse droppings inside and was hard to clean. I did have to replace bats inside. I do have pics of replacement bats inside. I will see what I can find.

Someone did a nice job with the crossovers, leave them alone. The Dayton capacitor is a respectable performer and they've been bypassed with the relatively expensive AudioCap PPT Theta (film and tin foil). You might consider a circuit change down the road at some point -- but those are perfectly fine just the way they are.

Thanks guys!

Mungkiman, I stumbled on those Klipschorn restore pics from Greg myself actually. Very nice work. The Wendell cane seems to be about as close as new stuff will ever be to the Klipsch OEM. I have Wendell sending me a sample to compare to my original. I'll likely redo rather than attempt localized repairs but thanks for the offer and I'll keep it in mind.

MoparBob, looking forward to your pics.\

Dean, yeah the crossover work looked respectable to me but I wasn't sure about the specifics. Thanks for the input on that. I guess I'll leave them alone as they sound really nice to my ear.

Another cool thing I thought you guys would be interested in. I have a late Sixties walnut shelf that looks as though it was custom made to go with my Cornwalls. The shelves are the exact same thickness as the lumber used for the Cornwall cabs. I'm rubbing BLO on it and regluing the dowels to give it some new life. Then I'll bolt it to the wall and use it as my LP shelf. Attached are two pics. One shows a piece of the shelf next to the walnut riser from my cabs and the other shows the shelf being worked on in my garage. I like the idea of matching the cabs to an era-specific LP shelf. I think they'll look great together. I tried to find a manufacturer marking on it so you guys could look for similar stuff if interested but I didn't see anything.

Brian

post-29931-0-32540000-1391106601_thumb.j

post-29931-0-88500000-1391106729_thumb.j