It looks like Denon X4000 just may be it.

Cal Blacksmith

I have a buddy who works for a large retail electronics chain where the color blue is often found. He is checking into the X4000 and what he has to pay for it. Initial probing of prices showes a HUGE difference in MSRP and COST. I just sent him a correct number of what I am interested in just to be sure we are on the same page.

I really am looking for a PRE PRO but those are not going to be found in consumer stores and honestly, if the initial results are true, I can be quite happy with an AVR and just ignore the built in amps :D

At another store......

I went to Frys electronics just to see what they had and wow, the lack of information on the part of the sales team is astounding. Not one of the "sales people" understood what a preamp / processor is, not one. They had to scurry to the online terminals and google it then when they DID find one in their system, once person asked the other, how many watts does it have? :wacko2:

I guess there really should not be any shock on my part though, when first aproached by the staff they pointed me at a $499 Onkyo AVR and boasted it has all the LATEST AND GREATEST, LOOK BUILT IN BLUE TOOTH!

Oh brother.

Edited by Cal Blacksmith

Well outbaord amps are not required, for speakers, i am using Quartets as mains, H2 sides, KG2.5 as rear and Acadmey as center. I have two SS class A amps to run the mains and sides so while the amps are not mandatory, they really do help the sound and the use of them takes the power load from the AVR and allows it to be at it's best.

I have not heard back on the price yet but ironicaly, after I did a full disassembly and reassembly of the system, the Yamaha is now operating normally again. It had refused to pass signal above std definition and would blank out when anything else but low quality signal was fed to it. This happened after a breaker tripped. The whole system is on surge protection but it was messed up anyway.

Unless the Denon is a steal of a deal, I will just stay with the Yamaha but my heart is now really set on an upgrade, this would then move the Yamaha to the TV room and the amp in the TV room moves to excess equipment status.

It would be nice to have the updated codecs and the 3D and 4K passthrough even though the projector is not able to use those abilities. The projector is showing it's age too and when the bulb is due for replacement, new PJs will be seriously considered.

Edited by Cal Blacksmith

i just got my x4000 on friday. i think i like it. haven't really messed around with it much though. ithe room setup was great and it sounds pretty good compared to my old HK. i pushed some button on the sound control and it went to pro logic or something for my appletv. i can't get it to automatically recognize the signal now when i play the appletv. works fine with my other two sources though.

it's also been shutting off when my kids are playing playstation. i'm guessing that's because i have a couple of speaker wires not properly connected. i ordered banana plugs off of monoprice and that will hopefully fix the issue.

btw, paid 800 for it....refurbished unit on amazon.

Thanks for the feedback on the unit, I do like the advanced codecs and Audyssey setup.

Drew, it should not be turning off, i doubt that your kids are running the volume up loud, and as you are posting here, you at least know about effecient speakers so the amps should not be overtaxed. Do double check everything and if you can't find anything wrong, get intouch with the seller and take care of things ASAP! While banana plugs do make things easier to connect and move wires aroud, the binding posts should be fine with just wire alone, make sure all strands are tightly twisted and none are able to short out then if all is well with your wires and the old HK did not have issues I would seek a replacement unit. Just saying!

No I did not look at the 4520 but even the x4000 will only be half used. I have to go that high to get Pre outs to feed my outboard amps.

On this system, we have no use for music or second or third rooms while internet connectability isn't an issue either as we are on Sat internet service and only get 15 (useable) gb a month. We do get another 15gb but it is from 2 AM to 8 AM, not really a time anyone can use the "extra" data. All that and only $80 a month at 10 mbps (on a good day) who could ask for more? No there is only Dialup as an alternate service and that is no option at all.

This is a dedicated HT / projecter setup.

Edited by Cal Blacksmith