Older SS Amps Denon POA-1500 and Onkyo M-504

Max2

Looking at older 2 channel SS amps for K-horns. I will be using a Denon 4311 as the preamp and to power the other 3 speakers for rare surround use. Im looking at a Denon POA-1500 and a Onkyo M-504. My uncle had a 504 several years ago that I was really impressed with. After doing some reading, it appears the Denon and the Onk are very close in sound. Maybe Im just spinning my wheels trying to pair them with an AVR as the pre. Any thought's?

i have owned a 504 for almost 20 years & for what it is & its price, it is a very good amp. its been hooked up to my kg5.5 & fortes in the past & it sounds excellent. but then again, almost any amp will sound good on fortes! i just bought my first pair of k-horns about a week ago & hooked them to the onkyo first for only a few hours, they sounded good but i am not used to the k-horns sound yet, they are a totally different animal than any other speaker. i plan to hook the onkyo back up asap for a better testing.

i have used an adcom 555ii & rotel rb990 on them for a few hours each just to get a comparison on first impressions, the rotel sounds best so far but the onkyo would be a close second in initial sound quality. the adcom has power up loud but doesnt have the same sound quality to me with my system in the mid-high range. just not as clear, almost cheaper sounding.

i will say that i first used an onkyo 805 avr as a preamp & while it sounded "ok." i swapped in a basic adcom 500 preamp & it was a night & day difference, all amps sounded better, more bass mainly but better all around compared to the receiver as a pre. the 805 is a very nice AVR & has great reviews, just not as good of a preamp as the oldschool adcom.

with the right gear i think the onkyo m504 would be a great budget friendly s/s amp for k-horns. they go for about $400-$500 on ebay. but im sure for that price you could find an equal or better used amp... like the rotel. but the big green meters of the onkyo cant be beat at this price range..

Edited by klipschfancf4

One thing I noticed on both of these amps, among the great reviews, are the stellar bench numbers. I have never been a big spec peeper, but the Denon shows .002% distortion and an SNR of 123db. Now I know my ears couldn't hear or pick out a lower THD, but I guess it never hurts that the numbers are that good. I wonder if they measured things a little different back then.

Denon%20POA%201500_PRA%201000%20ramutch%

Edited by Max2

One of those Onkyo amps just came up for sale on my local craigslist for $325.00, with the matching pre for $125.00. I thought about buying it because I've always liked the looks of those big meters. I wouldn't use solid state with my K-Horns, but I might try it out on one of my other systems.

One of those Onkyo amps just came up for sale on my local craigslist for $325.00, with the matching pre for $125.00. I thought about buying it because I've always liked the looks of those big meters. I wouldn't use solid state with my K-Horns, but I might try it out on one of my other systems.

thats an excellent price for a good working 504. they consistantly hit $450-$500 on ebay.

thats an excellent price for a good working 504. they consistantly hit $450-$500 on ebay.

I thought it sounded like a good deal also. I just bought a reel to reel deck, so I might not be able to pick up the amp right now.