Who said La Scalas have no bass?

You guys with thin sounding Scalas must not have them set up properly. I spent about an hour this morning sliding mine around and found they hit like freight trains about 10 inches from the rear wall. I'll never go back to non horn-loaded bass. No, they don't pressurize the room like my Chorus IIs and RSW 15, but they are SO tight and clean. There is so much good, clean bass if you get it right. Wow.

Killerbee--- I said the limited range of bass that is reproduced is of fine quality, limited range is the key phrase. The things don't go deep enough to give a good overall balance to the sound IMO. I think the Khorn and Cornwall are better sounding speakers.

I think the Chorus II is a better speaker overall as well, but the La Scala is not as bass limited as some describe. They made no bass in the original spot I had them in, but playing with room placement improved them considerably.

This message has been edited by killerbee_vr6 on 07-12-2002 at 08:32 PM

LaScala's bass response curve doesn't go as low as that of the Cornwall or k-horn, but WITHIN its bass response range, it is wonderfully clear and sharp....and yes, they DO perform better close to a wall...you must remember that LaScala is not only the name of a famous opera house in Italy, but also is Italian for "the wall"...yet another of PWK's sly puns in his speaker nomenclature!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

The La Scalas I recently heard were toed-in deep in the corners on the short wall of a rather large rectangular room. In this big room, with no bass boost, these speakers have rather limited low frequency extension (even with a McIntosh 2105). When my buddy had them in a smaller room, they certainly had more bass; low frequency output was much more acceptable. By definition, bigger rooms require more woofer for good bass response (compare how much woofer one needs for a car vs. a room vs. an auditorium vs. a headphone). Room size may be accounting for the difference in what various forum members are hearing.

Also, if one is using bass boost with his La Scalas (say 10dB boost at 70Hz), a couple of things are happening. Firstly, the speakers are effectively no longer 104dB 1M/1W because the signal centered around the 70Hz mark has undergone a 10 fold increase in amplifier power. Also, since most of the amplifier power goes to feed the low frequecies, the effect is significant.

Secondly, distortion is proportional to the excursion of the woofer at a given output. The folded horn design allows for low excursion at high output, thus lower distortion (no magic, just physics). If one is forcing his La Scala woofers undergo heavy excursions to squeeze bass out of the cabinets, he is also proportionally increasing distortion (especially IM), and it is certainly audible (lacks tight definition). He is effectively losing the folded horn advantage. For DEEP, low distortion bass in a "smaller cabinet" a well designed bass reflex is probably the better way to go.

Of couse a GOOD subwoofer solves many of the formentioned problems, thus making the folded horn of the La Scala a great thing for reproducing unboosted, tight bass. There is a reason PWK made the bass bin for Khorn so big - he knew big bass needs a big horn. The Khorn is a great speaker (more my idea of a no compromise design).

The La Scala is great speaker too, with a lot of potential. It's just the limited extension of the smaller folded horn needs a little help if one desires deep bass.

None of this post is meant to bash La Scalas - I really love the La Scalas and have spent 100's of hours listening to them. But the La Scala bass horn is a compromise on the Khorn and will therefore, by definition, have some limitations. The most important thing is for one to buy what sounds good to his/her own ears, not someone else's.

Regards,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 07-13-2002 at 09:10 AM

Andy---Good point about EQ. A LaScala basshorn when driven below it's cutoff point is acting as a 15" direct-radiator in a sealed box and not as a horn below cutoff. Big, high-efficiency subs with lots of cone area to keep excursions low are the way to go to augment basshorns with limited range. Of course the volume of such boxes raises the question of whether one should have just bought KHorns instead of LSs in the first place.

Well Tom, not everybody has another $1200 laying around... or the corners to put them in.

I'm very happy with my La Scala's. I think they sound much cleaner than the Chorus II's I just sold, and the Chorus I's which currently reside as my rears. As soon as I upgrade the crossovers to ALK's, they will be a better balanced speaker in my opinion. Not so forward in the mids with smoother highs. I will work on getting my SVS 20-39CSi to blend in with them around 60hz. With tube amplification and vinyl, I'm sure I will be very satisfied...

Mike

La Scala Bass is fine as is. Remember in the Klipsch line there is ONLY one speaker that will out perform Scala's... Khorns, and there really isn't that much difference in their sound. You don't need a sub, but it does not take an expensive sub to add more bass. I've found that my KSW12 does fine. The answer is to keep the sub level down. It doesnt take much to really add to what some feel La Scala's lack. Yeah if you have corners get Khorns. If your room doesn't allow for Khorn's and you want the Khorn sound the only choice you have is Scala's/Belle's. Nothing else comes close.

------------------

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/MYSTUFF.jpg

This message has been edited by mpgwagon on 07-14-2002 at 04:58 PM