The Wind Rises

WMcD

The preview was shown at an art house movie theater nearby me for several months.

This weekend it opened at a local mainstream theater, AMC River 21 in Chicago.

It is up for an Academy Award and I have think this shift to mainstream theaters will last for a couple of weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Rises

I recommend it. Japanese animation is not for everyone but it is a very nice change from Hollywood.

It is a movie for engineers. For example, when the young engineer has to find a stick of wood for a splint in an emergency, he opens his suitcase and pulls out a slide rule. This made himself a hero.

The is also a love interest (arising from the slide rule), so your date will like it.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

I have yet to see this film, but if anybody is into great animated movies, Hayao Miyazaki the director of this film is one of the best ever.......I recommend.. Princess Mononoke ..and.. Spirited Away ..These are 2 of some of the best animated movies I have ever seen.......But look through all his movies and pick one....Some better than others, but none are bad.... :emotion-22:

Edited by Audio Android

If you like your animation a bit darker, check out Ghost in the Shell, or Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.

They're set in the future and tell the story of police detectives, of whom some are cyborgs. The movie is from 1995, so the animation is old school, but the soundtrack is really impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell_(film)

From the Wiki entry:

Cultural impact[edit]

Ghost in the Shell influenced a number of prominent filmmakers. The Wachowskis, the creators of The Matrix and its sequels, showed it to producer Joel Silver, saying, "We wanna do that for real."[44] The Matrix series took several concepts from the film, including the Matrix digital rain, which was inspired by the opening credits of Ghost in the Shell, and the way people accessed the Matrix through holes in the back of their necks.[45] Other parallels have been drawn to James Cameron's Avatar, Steven Spielberg's AI: Artificial Intelligence, and Jonathan Mostow's Surrogates.[45]

Edited by Islander

Hayao Miyazaki the director of this film is one of the best ever.......I recommend.. Princess Mononoke ..and.. Spirited Away ..These are 2 of the best animated movies I have ever seen.......But look through all his movies and pick one....Some better than others, but none are bad.... :emotion-22:

Miyazaki is one of my favorite animated film writers/producers.

Spirited away was really something else.

I totally agree with your comments.