Heads up on a PBS music special tonight

Rick

This looks like it might be good, I'll likely check it out:

Great Performances - Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald, Boz Scaggs: The Dukes of September

As the group The Dukes of September, Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs perform.

• Today 9:00pm - 11:30pm
  • 8 WSKG

I saw the Dukes of September at the Beacon here in NYC and thought it was a great show. Excellent selection of older R&B tunes, suited to the various musicians. Too bad the sound quality at the Beacon was poor. The last 2 shows I saw there, in the Loge & Balcony had sound problems. The sound in the orchestra when I was last there was great. Enjoy the show, thanks for the heads up.

I have an outside antenna and receive it direct from local station. You may want to look in your on screen guide if cable or satellite for broadcast times. There is a fundraiser going on here so it may show other times there. Hope this helps a little.

I looked my station up on computer for guide.

Thanks for the post!

Edited by billybob

I do not have cable either, but I receive PBS over the air from my local affiliate.

I am definitely going to tune in tonight, and I'm very much looking forward to it..

And I'm really looking forward to the SRV special... :emotion-21:

Edited by Rick

I do not have cable either, but I receive PBS over the air from my local affiliate.

I am definitely going to tune in tonight, and I'm very much looking forward to it..

And I'm really looking forward to the SRV special...

Think I'd like to see SRV special.

Thanks

Edited by billybob

Well, overall, I enjoyed the program last night. I thought the performances were generally very good, and they did many of each of the guys most popular songs that you'd expect...

However, my only real complaint is that the sound quality was dreadful. I know that many music specials on tv don't sound very good, but this one was (disappointingly) particularly bad. It sounded very hollow, with a poor soundstage, and at times it was very hard to hear the vocals. Funny thing is, when my local PBS affiliate would go to their pledge drive, it had the same hollow sound, which I've never experienced before.. That leads me to wonder if the station was having some technical issues last night??

Did anyone else watch it, and if so, did you notice the same issues with the sound quality as I did?

At any rate, I still enjoyed the show. I see it is available on DVD and Blu-Ray, and if the reviews say that the sound quality is OK with those, I wouldn't mind adding the BD to my collection at some time...

Edited by Rick
  • Like 1

Looking forward to tonight's show. Expecting better audio!

Thanks for the review!

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts, and I hope the sound quality is better on your feed than mine was.

Like I said, the show was good other than that. As anyone that knows me is aware, I'm very fond of female vocalists. And Boz Scaggs' backup singers were very good. There were two of them, and in particular, the one that goes by Ms. Monet was fabulous! What a great voice!! And while she's a bigger gal, I think she is beautiful...

542158_10200148454975572_1449512051_n.jp

• Like 1

For sure! Glad you enjoyed show for the most part other than sound quality. Folks will have to check for the SRV concert and maybe a repeat of last nights show on their local PBS affiliate guide for show times as they can be varied in different markets.

Sounded pretty good to me for what it was. Everyone in top form considering it being an inaugural event. Worth the watching as the video was good too. IMLO

SRV, and Albert King a treat.

Edited by billybob
  • Like 2

Sounded pretty good to me for what it was. Everyone in top form considering it being an inaugural event. Worth the watching as the video was good too. IMLO

SRV, and Albert King a treat.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm really starting to think that my local station was experiencing technical issues with their audio the other night...

Yeah, the Albert King/SRV was phenominal!! :emotion-21:

• Like 1