Where do I put the rear speakers?

NBPK402

Questions:

1. Where should I put the speakers on the back wall? The back platform is about 4' off center due to the hallway... Should I put them in the corners close to the ceiling? The speakers will be the Klipsch Heresy HIPs, and there will be a 1' soffit along the ceiling (which you can see part of in the picture... It is the open area along the right hand side of the wall). The room including the short hallway is 19' wide.

2. The side channels will be the Klipsch KP 3002 pro speakers and will be put almost lined up with the front row seating... Should the speakers be up close to the ceiling or on the floor? They are close to 3' tall. They will be mounted in a column to conceal them.

20140310_182512_zps1d6cbce0.jpg

Side shot of room...

20140308_121519_zpsbb831bf6.jpg

overhead view...

20140308_121425_zpsf804920d.jpg

This is a view from the rear of the room... You can see how the screen wall is wider than the rear seating area...

20140308_121446_zps1140a359.jpg

Edited by Ron

Rear surrounds should be symmetrical with the side walls, so 4ft in on each side. Don't worry about corners.

So the second row seating area is area is 15' wide, and the screen area is 19' wide... So I should move the rear surround speakers 4' from the side walls of the 2nd row seating area even though the seating area center line is 4' to the right of the screen center line?

Rear surrounds should be symmetrical with the side walls, so 4ft in on each side. Don't worry about corners.

So the second row seating area is area is 15' wide, and the screen area is 19' wide... So I should move the rear surround speakers 4' from the side walls of the 2nd row seating area even though the seating area center line is 4' to the right of the screen center line?

The rears are not that critical. I used to do 6.1, so the 7.1 are almost mono anyhow.

That is an interesting question. In looking at your blueprints, I can see what you are concerned about. What comes to mind for me is a single rear speaker, but using a bipole rather than what you have. A single RS-62 in that area centered to the back wall, not the screen would fill the rear soundstage. As stated before, the rear setup is the least important, and Claude is right that about all available mixes use a single (mono) rear channel. Furthermore, most AVR's and preamps support a single rear channel. Check yours...

That's my 2 cents. The KP-3002's are probably worth more than a single RS-62, and with the rear channel, timbre matching is of little importance.

I think THX recommends them together, kind of like having one speaker. I wouldn't angle them, just strait out, this is what I am kind of doing. Keep in mind the screen off set is going to have affect on viewing, I would not compromise the sound by trying to make them symmetrical with the screen. If your seats are off set, then it would make since to have the speakers off set along with your seats.

7-1-speaker-setup-400x300.jpg