Round 1 Acquisitions completed...maybe done for a while

Mallette

Actually had a hard time trying to find real needs in my system, at least within the money I had to return to it after "must do" items. So, I acquired the aforementioned Jolida FX10 as both a second system tube amp as well as a "traveling" amp. Expect it at the next Hope FoP gathering.

Next, I'll mention the "fun" part. Given my core needs were in pretty good shape something I stumbled over grew in my mind. Can't remember how, but I stumbled over this web site at Art Dudley's review of the Re-Equalizer II. Art's review was great, but listening to the samples sold me. I've been pleased, and many have been impressed, with my 78 playback, but there are many records that never sounded correct, even if good and well worth playing. One thing I learned there corrected a mis-conception. I really thought RIAA was pretty well standardized by the 40s. Not so. I've some 10" LPs from the early 50s that mostly never sounded well balanced and were a bit disappointing as some have awesome content. I learned that, while the standards were gradually converging they were not written in stone until 1955. My 78 preamp has only two curves: RIAA and a compromise "78" EQ. This baby comes with what is billed as the most comprehensive set of specific curves for labels and periods known to exist. It has 64 settings and recommendations for everything from the acoustic period to 1955. I'll report in due time and maybe upload some recordings.

post-7390-0-95760000-1396525877_thumb.jp

Next, subwoofer amp to complete my massive horn loaded subwoofer project. Not a lot to say, but price was right and it appears to have adequate control for my needs.

post-7390-0-44240000-1396526394_thumb.pn

Finally, a gesture to the rest of the family. I purchased an HT receiver for the TV room. I had a Panasonic SA-XR57 in there, but it only had two HDMI ins and one out, no networking, etc. Of course, the sound is excellent but that area is never used for critical listening. I may sell the Panny as I have a couple of SA-XR25s with the same amp in them and these bring pretty good prices on EBay and are increasingly rare. Anyway, the reviews of this Yamaha, both audio and video, look excellent. Highly regarded YPAO auto setup for speaker config and room compensation, full networking to music server, Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify, and 4k upscaling (1080P to me at the moment, but ready for the next TV when the price and penetration of 4K is right). It's 7.1, which I am not an probably won't for a long time, but the two channels can be used as zone 2 or what they call party mode where whatever is played on the main system is sent via line out to another zone. I'm thinking I may put my FM transmitter on it so the PAW and others can easily send music all over the house by playing it on the Yammy and to the zone 2/FM transmitter. The PAW likes Pandora and Spotify, and really can't use the stuff on the music server at the moment as she considers it a bit of a hassle to have to fire up the music room system to access it.

So, bit of fun and new things to play with starting tomorrow when the Yammy shows up!

post-7390-0-25760000-1396527036_thumb.jp

Dave

• Moderators

Some big changes, that Re-Equalizer looks interesting, a huge leap considering what playback was like back when those LP's were made and even decades later.

I would think the PAW will love the changes the Yamaha is going to make in how she can listen conveniently to what she likes with little or no trouble at all, great idea.

And a sub, You really needed a sub, it should really benefit with some of your favorite music, I know you put it off but I bet once integrated it will make you wonder why you waited so long.

Edited by dtel

I would think the PAW will love the changes the Yamaha is going to make in how she can listen conveniently to what she likes with little or no trouble at all, great idea.
\

Yeah. Pays to give a bit back. She's put up with a lot for my hobby! Back in Flower Mound she put up with K'horns in the bedroom because it was the only room in the house with corners, even put up with a couple of hornhead gatherings.

Crikey, Carl, gimme a break! Between that and the crap I took for failing to bring a turntable I had to drink up all the whiskey... :lol:

Dave