Chorus II Upgrades

BMWM5

I do not see why the tweeter is subjective, yet the midrange is not. So don't perform the upgrade on the squawker if you are not prepared to add a roll-off to the squawker. Or live with the fact that both drivers will be at full output at 7KHZ. I might not be as technical as some on this thread, but why would Klipsch be putting titanium diaphragms rather than old tried and true phenolics on the current Heritage lineup?

Best regards,

John

Nice catch Bob.

John, all things are "subjective". People just like different things, that's all I meant. Believe it or not, there are people who don't like the sound of titanium tweeters. I've talked to plenty who reverted back after trying them.

The Klipschorn and LaScala still use phenolic diaphragms.

If titanium in the midrange in used, you have to fix it. Letting the midrange stomp all over the tweeter's output is ... well ... I can't finish the sentence and still be nice.

• Like 1

As for Klipsch not supporting DIY projects.... If Klipsch considers supporting a DIY project as simply selling someone a diaphragm kit then they should re-evaluate their business model. How many people buy 3-4 new speaker systems over a lifetime? Revenue is revenue it all goes to the bottom line. How hard is it to ask your supplier for more drivers and diaphragms? I'm sure that tthe supplier would not be disapointed in increased revenue as well.

Dean;

Agreed. Initially I was unaware of the overlap as well. When I ordered the K53TI drivers a few years back I was also replacing my original xovers with new BOB C. Bob immediately informed me of the overlap and added a band pass rollover for me along with the new crossovers.

I am vey happy with the results. I also agree that everyone has different tastes, thank God there is more than chocolate and vanilla......

Best regards,

John

Edited by John Chi-town

As for Klipsch not supporting DIY projects.... If Klipsch considers supporting a DIY project as simply selling someone a diaphragm kit then they should re-evaluate their business model. How many people buy 3-4 new speaker systems over a lifetime? Revenue is revenue it all goes to the bottom line. How hard is it to ask your supplier for more drivers and diaphragms? I'm sure that tthe supplier would not be disapointed in increased revenue as well.

I totally agree with this. Klipsch could even develop kits to bring many speakers up to date. However, what they really want is for all of these old speakers to die so that you will buy new ones. That one is once removed from the horse's mouth.

• Like 1

Dean....

Sometimes the obvious escapes the best of us.... LOL....

I'm just happy to be done chasing the audiophile "dragon". Now its time to enjoy these "new forte II' speakers for the next 20+ years, as I did for the first 20+

Best regards,

John

Edited by John Chi-town

I totally agree with this. Klipsch could even develop kits to bring many speakers up to date. However, what they really want is for all of these old speakers to die so that you will buy new ones. That one is once removed from the horse's mouth.

You only buy new ones if you want to downsize. At least for guys like me. LOL.

• Like 1

I do not see why the tweeter is subjective, yet the midrange is not. So don't perform the upgrade on the squawker if you are not prepared to add a roll-off to the squawker. Or live with the fact that both drivers will be at full output at 7KHZ. I might not be as technical as some on this thread, but why would Klipsch be putting titanium diaphragms rather than old tried and true phenolics on the current Heritage lineup?

Best regards,

John

The tweeter seems to be less subjective. Many people feel the metal diaphragm in the tweeter provides more sparkle and others like more rolled off highs of non-metals, possibly not as detailed.

In the mids the metal (Ti for instance) isn't as warm and many think is not as natural.

So two camps, more like the sparkle so tweeters are higher on the list to use Ti. The more natural mids, phenolic is higher on the list. Ti is likely there for durability and high power use, particularly from the suspension implementation point of view.