Phono Cartridge

mdbrien

Hello all,

I looking at upgrading my photo cartridge and since my Pre-Amp is a McIntosh C46 and I don't have a separate phono preamp I will be going with a MM cartridge. My turntable is a Technics SL-1200mkII and was wondering what the thoughts were on an Ortofon 2M Black. Thanks,

Had one two months now, and I can say I frankly don't think there is anything at any price that can improve on it. I've had a lot of cartridges over the past 40 years, and many good ones. This one is my "bucket" cartridge.

Not sure if I was just lucky, or that it's very tolerant, but install and setup was maybe 15 minutes on my VPI...which isn't all that easy to access...and it was dead on.

Go for it...you will not be disappointed and if you are I'd look at something else in the chain if you hear a problem.

Dave

Major caveat on the Technics. The majority were used by djs, and were' not talking high end dj'ing but weddings, bar mistvahs etc.

In other words, many are beat to death and you should have someone with you who knows turntables before completing any purchase.

Also, many have had disco played on them and are sonically compromised as a result.

Edited by thebes

Major caveat on the Technics. The majority were used by djs, and were' not talking high end dj'ing but weddings, bar mistvahs etc.

In other words, many are beat to death and you should have someone with you who knows turntables before completing any purchase.

Also, many have had disco played on them and are sonically compromised as a result.

I appreciate your input on the Technics. The Technics SL-1200mkII that I have was purchased brand new in 1988 by me; therefore I am the original owner. It's in excellent condition and has always been maintained in a pet and smoke free home. I'm currently using a Denon DL-160 with great results.

I'm just looking to upgrade to something better. I hope the Ortofon 2M Black works well with it.

I've never owned anything other than the Technics, but know by the reviews and comments I've read about the VPI's, they must be a great table. That's why I stated I'd like to own one. With that said and after reading what Mallette and Tromprof said about the Technics, I'm hoping it will be staying with me a bit longer.

My system consists of: Aragon 8008BB amps. One for my 60th anniversary Klipschorns and the other for my La Scalas. McIntosh C-46 preamp, Jolida JD-100A CD player, Nakamichi DR2 Cassette Deck and Technics SL-1200mkII Turntable.

Thanks again for all the input. I'll give a report on my experience with the Ortofon 2M black once I get it.

Thanks,

Mark