New Turntable or Cart upgrade?

USNRET

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a nice setup.

I am running a Basis Signature 2001 with Grahm 2.2. really sweet sounding rig.

Dave

Dave you getting an itch :-)

Too late but reading years old thread and posts from over the world, it seems that there has been issues with the Graham's wand to base connector and that connector is un-obtainium. I just sent the seller a question on this but while here,.. it appears that there are two mounting schemes, SME and custom. It appears from the photo that this one is the custom mount. What would it take to change arms if I run into issues in the future?

Who needs a minty Pro_Ject RM-5SE?

it appears that there are two mounting schemes, SME and custom. It appears from the photo that this one is the custom mount. What would it take to change arms if I run into issues in the future?

It's best IMO to contact A.J. Conti, head of Basis Audio, about issues of mounting the tonearm to the plinth, if that's what you're referring to. I don't know the details, but he has usually pre-drilled the plinth to go with the tone arm to be used. Garymd has some experience with the ins and outs of this.

AJ's phone and e-mail are on his website main page: 603.889.4776; basis_info@basisaudio.com. He's very friendly and approachable. He probably knows the exact TT you're getting.

If you're talking about the base of the tone arm mount, probably best to talk directly with Bob Graham unless you have a good Graham dealer contact. I know the wand is EXTREMELY hard to screw on without cross-threading, but you just have to keep trying -- don't force it! I have spent easily 20 min. or more trying multiple times before it finally takes, though sometimes you can be lucky on the first or second try.

Edited by LarryC

it appears that there are two mounting schemes, SME and custom. It appears from the photo that this one is the custom mount. What would it take to change arms if I run into issues in the future?

It's best IMO to contact A.J. Conti, head of Basis Audio, about tonearm mounting issues. I don't know the details, but he has usually pre-drilled the plinth to go with the tone arm to be used. Garymd has some experience with the ins and outs of this.

AJ's phone and e-mail are on his website main page: 603.889.4776; basis_info@basisaudio.com. He's very friendly and approachable.

Thanks for that. It's a lot more clear now.

What would it take to change arms if I run into issues in the future?
BTW, keep your eye out for a used Basis Vector tone arm, and see if that's what you'd like. That's how Garymd got his at half the cost new. Of course, AJ would probably prefer that they are bought new.

What would it take to change arms if I run into issues in the future?
BTW, keep your eye out for a used Basis Vector tone arm, and see if that's what you'd like. That's how Garymd got his at half the cost new. Of course, AJ would probably prefer that they are bought new.

Thanks, will do. I can tell you for certain that I will NOT be spending that much for new. The mark up from manufacturing cost is RIDICULOUS even with R&D considered..