New Turntable or Cart upgrade?

USNRET

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

The RM-5se is a nice table, but the Scout is a step in the right direction. The Ortophone Black is a nice cart paired with the Scout.

Dave

I am seriously considering a Scout II but I'm having trouble finding a matching cartridge.

OK I'm lost! I thought you said your budget was $1500.00 after selling your current cartridge? Now you are talking a $2400 table without a cartridge :huh2:

yea, after looking around I'm thinking I have to up the budget a bit or I might not see a noticeable change from the RM-5 which was $1000. I was offered $500 trade-in for my Pro_Ject set up but I figure if a store will give me that then perhaps I could sell it to an individual (perhaps a few bucks more with the SpeedBox controller). So I would like to stay maxed at $3500 for table/arm/cartridge/options. No cover as I will order a matching set for the VRDs, NBS and TT from that squares place.

Edited by USNRET

Yep OldT, I think that is a good choice. I'm for sure more prone to a mass loaded table which is why I'm already saving to upgrade the RP-1 I have on my Klipsch rig. I also like the classic 1 with the 10.5" arm, love long arms, I would consider a Classic 1 with a 2M Bronze in that 3.5K range as well. Don't think USNRET would go wrong with either.

3.5k with a Bronze? Sound starts with the cart. While I've not compared other Ortofons personally, reviewers claim significant improvement in the Black over any of the others. In my case, I simply cannot imagine getting any more music off an LP than that thing does.

If I had a set budget, I'd subtract the Black from the total and that would be my TT cost.

That's my story, and I'm stickn' with it...

Dave

Dave, what arm do you have? My "calculations" didn't show a match around 10hz resonance with the arm offered on the Scout and the Black. I readily admit I know nothing.

I saw the JMW-9T on the Scout II

Edited by USNRET

3.5k with a Bronze? Sound starts with the cart. While I've not compared other Ortofons personally, reviewers claim significant improvement in the Black over any of the others. In my case, I simply cannot imagine getting any more music off an LP than that thing does.

If I had a set budget, I'd subtract the Black from the total and that would be my TT cost.

Dave

Well I've yet to hear the 2M Black Dave but I have heard the Red, Blue (what I'm currently running on my RP-1) and the 2M Bronze and their is a significant upgrade to each but I could be satisfied with the blue all day long. I'm sure the Black is really sweet and I can't wait to hear one. I said the VPI Classic 1 at $2,995.00 with a 2M Bronze at $419.00 fell into the $3.5K range. I'm sure the Scout II with a 2M Black would be the better choice if the cartridge is you first concern. It's all give and take, I just mentioned two options falling into a range.

Dave

Well I've yet to hear the 2M Black Dave but I have heard the Red, Blue (what I'm currently running on my RP-1) and the 2M Bronze and their is a significant upgrade to each but I could be satisfied with the blue all day long. I'm sure the Black is really sweet and I can't wait to hear one. I said the VPI Classic 1 at $2,995.00 with a 2M Bronze at $419.00 fell into the $3.5K range. I'm sure the Scout II with a 2M Black would be the better choice if the cartridge is you first concern. It's all give and take, I just mentioned two options falling into a range.

I appreciate the discussion, really.

Well Dave has first hand experience with both the Scout and 2M Black and I'd say the man has a good ear as well. I just love looking at everything that might fall under my budget amount and make myself a short list to comparo of what I like and then read as much up on those as I can especially if I'm unable to see/hear them first hand.

I'm sure the Scout II with a 2M Black would be the better choice if the cartridge is you first concern

Indeed...we all have our priorities and preferences. All I expect from a TT is that I never hear anything out of it. To that extent, I probably overspent on the Scout as I've "heard" nothing added from TTs costing a lot less but just wanted to be done with it.

OTOH, I have definitely heard major differences in carts, and the 2M Black is the best I have ever heard. Frankly, I am not sure it would sound much different on one of the old AR TTs that sold for a hundred bucks back in the day... I've not seen one of those in years, and they were not very sturdy so few may have survived...but best bang for the buck at the time.

Dave

I do believe I will go with the Scout II and 2M Black so I am trying to edge myself up to the Signature arm. I need to get something decided so I can order but no delivery until the family leaves out June 4th for the summer. She only notices boxes delivered not equipment.

I do believe I will go with the Scout II and 2M Black so I am trying to edge myself up to the Signature arm. I need to get something decided so I can order but no delivery until the family leaves out June 4th for the summer. She only notices boxes delivered not equipment.
This sounds like the right approach. I've long believed that one gets more quality upgrade with the cart than any other component, and the mass of praise for the 2M Black says you just can't go wrong -- it should be exceptional.

Ditto for the Scout, as, here again, everyone is lined up behind it. Finally, you're wise to go for a top arm choice -- it actually makes a hell of a difference, even if you wouldn't think so. The cart feels nicer in it, the sound quality and minimization of record noise are well worth it.

Those 3 items are the trio of fine LP reproduction -- the cart, the table, the and the arm. One weak link just won't play as well or sound as good.

Not trying to stir the pot here but if you are going for an upgrade and have a 3500 budget why stop at the scout ?? Vpi makes tables that are much better and are readily available on the used market that would still allow you to get the black

heres an example of a much better set up

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-vpi-industries-tnt-jr-jmw-memorial-sds-2014-05-08-analog-48307

Not trying to stir the pot here but if you are going for an upgrade and have a 3500 budget why stop at the scout ?? Vpi makes tables that are much better and are readily available on the used market that would still allow you to get the black

heres an example of a much better set up

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-vpi-industries-tnt-jr-jmw-memorial-sds-2014-05-08-analog-48307

I AGREE BUY THAT TABLE JUST AWESOME

and yet another that is better and will bring you in under 3000

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-vpi-industries-vpi-jr-lots-of-extras-lqqk-2014-05-07-analog-33601

this one gets you a very good table with one of the best arm available SME

which are much easier to set up

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-nottingham-analogue-spacedeck-w-heavy-kit-sme-iv-vi-with-van-den-hul-cable-2014-05-03-analog-28804

Edited by joessportster