Need a little advice

I was combing thru a local thrift store and came across a 70's Harmon/Kardan 400 series receiver for $70.00 bucks. Would it be worth it to take the plunge? I've read on the forum that they sound pretty decent.

Big D

I was combing thru a local thrift store and came across a 70's Harmon/Kardan 400 series receiver for $70.00 bucks. Would it be worth it to take the plunge? I've read on the forum that they sound pretty decent.

Big D

I would test it out in the store to make sure it is working properly for that amount. Sounds like it could be an H/K 430 which they say sound good and mellow, warm with Klipsch. Unless in fairly decent shape, $70 may be too much for buying at a thrift, IMLO

• Like 3

Big D

I would test it out in the store to make sure it is working properly for that amount. Sounds like it could be an H/K 430 which they say sound good and mellow, warm with Klipsch. Unless in fairly decent shape, $70 may be too much for buying at a thrift, IMLO

Totally agree. I have one, even has wood case. Nice unit that I picked up from a private seller in very good cosmetic and working condition for $50. Unless you know it works well or can test it pass.

• Like 1

I have two of the 430s, and I believe I paid $100 for each. They are used everyday. I have had them for a few years, and I need to do a recap, but they are totally worth it. Not as clean sounding as my SETs, but they didn't cost as much either. Also, the 430 is 25 WPC with twin power supplies.

Also need to replace the lights in one of mine.

Bruce

you should also seek the advice of folks who do restoration work if you plan to pay someone to restore...you don't want to get into the situation of being told "had I known before you bought...I would have suggested model X or model Y".

If you are going to restore your self....I would stay away from recievers in general if all you want is a tube amp. Recievers have a lot of complex adjustment points than need to be checked after restoration work vs a tube amp which only needs bias, hum pot, and other within reach adjustments once restored.

if you though this was going to be a plug and play project...skip it....you are going to need tube testers...cap testers...bias probes...volt meters...Variac's...supply of tubes to mix and match...a statigic plan for adding protective devices like additonal fuses and upgrading circuts to more functional and saf ones..$$$$$.

if you though this was going to be a plug and play project...skip it....you are going to need tube testers...cap testers...bias probes...volt meters...Variac's...supply of tubes to mix and match...a statigic plan for adding protective devices like additonal fuses and upgrading circuts to more functional and saf ones..$$$$$.
An H/K 430 is a SS device. I don't know anyone who has needed the tuning section tweaked.

The phono pre isn't bad, and the unit as a whole is great for the money. Depending on where Darrel is going to use this, for those who already have these, it's a no brainer.

If it can be checked out (ask the thrift store if you can take it to check out), if there is hum, it is specific caps to replace, if it has to sit on for a couple of minutes before changing the volume, it is certain other caps. If lights are out...

Bruce