Marantz CD5004 or Emotiva ERC-3

Hey everyone...

I need to crowd source a question. I had a Emotiva ERC-2 and sold it for a Olive 03HD... stupid mistake. I hated the olive... very very very slow interface. As a result, I never used it. I sold it yesterday on ebay. I realize I own a lot of CDs and will continue to do so. I play them on the family system... Rogue tempest II and Cornscalas... (Kinda the wife's system as it has a remote).

So I need a CD player. Ive kind of drawn it down to these two units... opinions? This is only for Redbook CD, single ended outputs, no DAC added.

Justin,

If you could spring for the Marantz CD6004 - It has better Wolfson DAC's than the CD5004…….For the past couple years I've been using the CD6004 (paid $499 for it and now it's down to $350) and it's a super machine. Like you I have lots of CD's and they never sounded better!

really torn... I have the Emo comming but is the marantz a better player? and why?

What is better?

I currently have a $2400(msrp) Integra DPS-10.5 universal player, a $1600.00(msrp) Cambridge Audio 840C CD player/DAC, a $1500.00(msrp) Denon DCD-3520, a $600.00(msrp) Cambridge Audio 640C v2, and a $500.00(msrp) NAD C542. While I like each for it's own qualities, DPS-10.5 for it's build quality, 840C for it's DAC and upsampling features, DCD-3520 for it's nostalgia, build quality and heft(43 pounds), 640C v2 for it's high performance/price ratio.

But I like the least expensive NAD C542 for it's sound quality, which counts most in my mind.

Bill

Edited by willland

So I went really left field with my final choice. The Emo came in and was sold off to a customer before I even got a listen... I them took a mosey into turners gun store... I ended up getting a target pistol Rugger 22/45 which has eaten into my budget. That said, I was going to reorder the CD player and I got notice that audio advisor was selling the Parasound Zcd for $200. So Ive ordered one... Im 100% sure its not as nice as the Emo and may be as nice as the entry model from Marantz. Anyone looking for a Dac/CD player the Parasound $200 seems pretty hard to beat... has vol control, USB (thrumb drive), 3.5mm in and fixed/variable outs. Obviously if it sounds bad its going bad, but Im hopeful it sound pretty good :-).

$200 for a dedicated player is a great suggestion for the budget conscious amongst us.

Edited by justinsweber