La Scala reunion (video)

Quiet_Hollow

• Moderators

Those look great considering the mileage I would think they would have much rougher.

Some cool history, no telling what has been played on them. If you decide to get rid of the boxes you could cut out the labels and frame them with the story ?

Fwiw, can't find a single Klipsch product on the AAFES on-line store. Army & Air Force Exchange Service

Anyone know if Klipsch speakers are still being sold overseas?

When I bought mine years ago they were not in the catalog either... You had to go to the Audio Club Store on a base. I had to go to RAF Lakenheath for mine.

Sorry for the late replies.

Sancho - Thanks good buddy! :emotion-21: and yes, dualies for the center. Cross-fired just enough such that the tweeters aren't dancing off of one another's baffles and wired in series.

Dtel - That's a brilliant idea. I'll make sure to discuss that with the original owner.

Carl - Exactly. Breathing room. Even without the HIP surrounds EQ'd, the sound field is breathtakingly cinematic. Big and open, as only the right dimensions allow.

Gettin' late here. ZZZZ time.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the backstory from their original owner:

"I became acquainted with Klipsch in the course of looking for information on building my own speakers. Invariably, wherever I went it led to comparisons of design quality, efficiency, and construction standards. Aside from the various brand fanboy platitudes, Klipsch was often used as a 'gold standard' for construction standards, as in "if you do this without cutting corners, it will be on the level of Klipsch construction". Design quality almost goes without saying, horns and folded horns were tried and tested, and Klipsch was again often used as a reference for things like driver matching, phase congruency, etc. The giant weight that tipped the scales for me was efficiency. There were/are many, many speaker designs that can be built with heirloom quality construction and sound good, but few that can do so while placing only a modest demand from an amplifier to fill a room. I determined my woodworking skills and available equipment weren't up to the task of matching what Klipsch had already done, and I went shopping.

It was pure dumb luck that the Rhein Mein audio club was clearing out inventory at that time, and I put on my best poker face when I was told by a manager that he had four La Scala's that he needed to move at near cost. Apparantly the size was an issue for service members, both in space needed for use and the always imminent reassignment moves. I told the manager I would help free up his floorspace for a small fee, at which he laughed and said he'd be happy to have the space but I would still have to pay cost.

I only had a couple months with them before I had to relocate myself. At that time I had a high end Onkyo cassette deck, a modest turntable, and a Carver magnetic amp I still dearly miss."

Upon returning stateside, one pair was stored and the other pair entrusted to my future brother-in-law. That is how I came to know Klipsch and the La Scala design at age 14. Eventually enough coin was saved and gumption mustered to make an offer. On just around my 25th, the pair in storage was acquired.

Since then, I too have travelled afar. Listened to a lot of systems....but always came back home to these black lacquered monoliths and their simply realistic, no-nonsense sound. A decade later ushered in this second pair, for bona fide 5.1 deployment.

Recent listening sessions have revealed this pair suffering from the same ills as their other Heritage brethren in the form of loose tweeter screws, debonded squawker rear chambers, and shifted bass bin gaskets. I'll post those repairs (along with video) in another thread, but for now, it's back under the knife....

post-40059-0-06140000-1402147587_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

Maintenance, setup, and tweaking done (for the most part) and here they are. All four kids playing together nicely.

Took a good long while to get everything dialed-in to this point, but as such, this group still could use tweaks. Discerning ears I'm sure will hear the warts.

First 5 clips are DTS from 5.1 blu-ray and DVD sources, the last clip is AC-3 4.1(aka "phantom center").

Fwiw, can't find a single Klipsch product on the AAFES on-line store. Army & Air Force Exchange Service

Anyone know if Klipsch speakers are still being sold overseas?

Only 3 items, but nothing major...

http://shop.aafes.com/shop/Search/default.aspx?category%7ccategory_root%7c1440=Electronics&category%7ccat_1442%7c13100=Audio

I can say that it works.  :emotion-21: Some might say it looks a little funny, but hey. 

Someday I'll have to get a legitimate movie screen to compliment the huge sound stage, but that'll require some more tweaking and convincing.  :(

Neither of us is too particularly fond of projectors really. We've discussed it on several occasions. Personally, I'd love a 80-100 inch OLED as I'm a sucker for the contrast and simplicity of a direct view, but until they make them acoustically transparent.... :lol:

Great system. I like the black LaScalas in that room. 

Toeing in the two centers adds bass extension doesn't it? You've added 3db with a second middle, and about a foot of horn length to the woofer cab. If my math is right, that should get you down another 14Hz. Does the center play down to 41Hz? Just curious......

Thanks again boss.  :emotion-22: A lot of the same gear as before, just improved placement.

They'll extend just side by side too. Toe is for the extra dispersion and reduced comb filtering. 20 degrees for the K77M. Trick is to make sure the cavity formed by the two cabs against the wall is sealed relatively tight, particularly towards the front. A seamless baffle. I've got a bead of neoprene gasket running up between them and the 50 lb TV and pedestal sits on a sheet of hardboard to cap off the top. Without sealing the cavity there's quite a bit of smearing in the vocal range.

Running a full-range signal, they'll easily dig to 40 Hz....and I mean easily.

There's gain in spades...coupling, directivity, etc. A little too much at the moment.  :ph34r: Parks all the action right on the listening position, keeps the neighbors happy. Night and day difference in the amount of slam at the couch with the center going. Tonal differences aside (from the lack of any EQ) the cluster runs much smoother at war volume than a single. Effortless really.