newb needs help choosing, thanks in advance

truetreasure

Hi All, I am methodically building a HT with second duty as 2 channel. I have purchased new RS-52 ii, a used RC-7, Boston Acoustics 12" sub and currently have some old large Cerwin-Vegas as temporary fronts. After reading Youthmans and other reviews I intend to purchase RF-7 ii in about a year.

From what I understand I will need to get a different center channel later or is it possible to upgrade the RC-7 to match?

I suppose the newer generation RC matches much better, correct?

At the moment I looking to buy my rears as HT is the primary goal for me and the family. I've looked at RB-61 ii but I think I would like a little more bass in the back. What do you think of RF-62 ii's for the rear?

Thanks again from a newb.

• Like 1

• Moderators
From what I understand I will need to get a different center channel later or is it possible to upgrade the RC-7 to match?

Although the RC-7 isn't an exact match to the RF-7ii, it can work quite well.

Check out WakeJunkie's setup as he is using an RC-7 with RF-7ii's - Link

RF-7ii_Panorama.jpg

I'm guessing the rc-7 would work fine. I'd for for matching personally cause of the associated harshness some complain of with the ref 3rd gen without dean g mod. Also the OCD I have wouldn't allow it as well. Now are you asking about your 6th and 7th channel? Do you have enough space behind your listening position to take advantage of those rear surround channels? If not you could save yourself the money as well as put less strain on your avr. 7 channels drain a lot from avrs. 5 not as much. And I've personally owned the 61's and 62's and if your crossing them to a sub bookshelves are fine towers would have almost no advantage. Now if your running home large full range that's different. Also take into account and stands that might need added and shelves too for bookshelves. If it comes to the same cost then I'd go for towers.

To get the true match you would need the RC-64ii, or best would be a third RF-7ii.

I have the RC-7 behind my AT screen and have never once been watching a movie and thought about it not matching. As far as I can tell it matches so close I can't tell.

The one and only time I ever have was when my AVR plays white noise to set the levels it sounds a little different from the RC-7 than from my RF-7ii's.

I went from the RC-3ii to the RC-7, and what a jump that was. I personally have been very please with the RC-7 performance and think it complements the RF-7iis nicely.

The RC-7 has a much wider soundstage and movie vocals are coming from the screen. With the RC-3ii I felt like I could just point at the speaker.

The RC-7 was much more natural. If you come across a steal for an RC-64ii on Craigslist then maybe, but otherwise I really think you will be as pleased as I am with the RC-7 for years to come.

As far as the rear speakers I think Scrappy is right, I wouldn't expect the surrounds to carry much bass. That is what the sub is for and should carry that load.

As far as harsh goes, the original RF-7s were a bit harsh IMO. The RF-7ii's really sound amazing and I have listened to them for hours on many occasions without fatigue.

No mod required.

You already have a good center, get the RF-7ii's and If it comes down to money, skip the rear channels and get a better sub.

When it comes to experience those are the things that really make the difference.

For what it is worth, FI IB318's in an IB are pretty beast in the sub department.

• Like 2

Wake I just read your HT build thread. Very nice work and thank you for your input. Maybe someday I can come to your shop and we can build a nice ib sub that I can carry back to Central America. LOL I did fail to mention that we are missionaries and live in CA. We do drive back to the states once a year and that's when I pickup the goodies for the fam. Matter of fact we'll be there in just a couple of weeks. As my job description might imply funding is always an issue. That's why it will be a year or so before the 7's can happen. I have to save, save, save. It is reassuring that the RC-7 works so well. Just proves God can bless even an idiot like me. HAHA! The sub was just purchased off of ebay and I haven't even auditioned it yet, it is still in Texas waiting for me to pick it up. It will just have to do until I can get by your place to build the sub :). That is after you build youthman his..... I am originally from the Atlanta area. Maybe sometime this winter your buddy youthman can help me find a sweet deal on the RF-7ii's. Buy the way youthman I've been to your neck of the woods many times and not just to Disney.

But really you guys have been so helpful and I very much appreciate it. So for now I would still like to get some rears and would appreciate any suggestions towards that end.

I'm really relieved to know that the RC will work. Does yours have any mods or is it stock? Thanks again and hope you guys enjoy the wakeboarding this summer!!

Edited by truetreasure

I'm guessing the rc-7 would work fine. I'd for for matching personally cause of the associated harshness some complain of with the ref 3rd gen without dean g mod. Also the OCD I have wouldn't allow it as well. Now are you asking about your 6th and 7th channel? Do you have enough space behind your listening position to take advantage of those rear surround channels? If not you could save yourself the money as well as put less strain on your avr. 7 channels drain a lot from avrs. 5 not as much. And I've personally owned the 61's and 62's and if your crossing them to a sub bookshelves are fine towers would have almost no advantage. Now if your running home large full range that's different. Also take into account and stands that might need added and shelves too for bookshelves. If it comes to the same cost then I'd go for towers.

Thanks Scrappy and my kids love Scooby as well. I do have enough space for the rears and the avr is a Yamaha rx-a 1020. I think it might have enough power, at least to get started with. Your logic about the towers was what I was thinking, no shelves, no stands, about the right height and maybe just a little added base. I was really worried I had messed up buying the RC-7 but you guys have pretty much eliminated any of those concerns. Do you have any preference of RF-62ii's or 52's? Thanks again for your input.

Edited by truetreasure

Thanks Scrappy and my kids love Scooby as well. I do have enough space for the rears and the avr is a Yamaha rx-a 1020. I think it might have enough power, at least to get started with. Your logic about the towers was what I was thinking, no shelves, no stands, about the right height and maybe just a little added base. I was really worried I had messed up buying the RC-7 but you guys have pretty much eliminated any of those concerns. Do you have any preference of RF-62ii's or 52's? Thanks again for your input.
ive owned the 52's also. The 52 horn is much smaller. I'd even take 61's over them cause of the larger horn. Now if you were doing full range with no sub in a two channel I would take a tower over a bookshelf HOWEVER you aren't so go with a 6x size for that larger horn. I have some comparison pics I can post later tonight of the towers if you'd like.

ive owned the 52's also. The 52 horn is much smaller. I'd even take 61's over them cause of the larger horn. Now if you were doing full range with no sub in a two channel I would take a tower over a bookshelf HOWEVER you aren't so go with a 6x size for that larger horn. I have some comparison pics I can post later tonight of the towers if you'd like.

Yes that would be great. Thank you!!

"Does yours have any mods or is it stock? "

All my speakers are factory. I personally love the sound and don't see any need to tame anything. If I had a pair of original RF-7's I would probably be giving DeanG a call.

Thank you Wake that is good to know. You didn't even nibble on building another ib sub (LOL) real nice job on yours though.

You didn't even nibble on building another ib sub (LOL) real nice job on yours though.

You want to carry an IB from my shop to Central America... hope you brought some friends.

The enclosure alone is over 250lbs.

I seriously have considered doing some contract work on the side for fun.

If you drive up from Central America I am sure we can work something out. ;-)

Hey Scrappy would really like to see those photos