Speaker placement

NBPK402

Question... On a room that is 19' wide and the left and right speakers are within 2' of the side walls is it advisable to run width channels?

Question: I have a pair of Klipsch KPT 3002 speakers which are about the same height as the La Scalas... I am debating on this if I forgo width channels, and go 9.2:

1. Hang the 3002 speakers on their sides (the backs are triangular) for height channels
2. HIPs for side surrounds, and rear surrounds

or

1. Hips for height channels, and side channels
2. 3002 for rear surrounds

What do you think is best?

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-design-construction/72544-my-retirement-home-theater-27.html#ixzz32yWnF5UR

• Like 2

I understand the question with each setup and would suggest trying as you have listed in your sig for a month then switch and try the other setting/setup for a second month. Honestly, I cant see going wrong with either although with you testing the same or similar material each time(a month or so each) you will know what suits your needs best and/or what results best.

I will say mounted on my walls right now i have 3 speakers on each side while testing a different setup right now in an advanced pro 7.1 setup. At the same time i can switch to 11.2 just by rewiring receivers. Its hard to say whats best till you try.

• Like 2

I understand the question with each setup and would suggest trying as you have listed in your sig for a month then switch and try the other setting/setup for a second month. Honestly, I cant see going wrong with either although with you testing the same or similar material each time(a month or so each) you will know what suits your needs best and/or what results best.

I will say mounted on my walls right now i have 3 speakers on each side while testing a different setup right now in an advanced pro 7.1 setup. At the same time i can switch to 11.2 just by rewiring receivers. Its hard to say whats best till you try.

Part of my problem is that the height channels will be mounted to a header that is over the screen and there will be a soffit running around the room... The speakers will be flush with the edge of the soffit. Since the 3002s are twice the height of the HIPs, you can see the problem with getting it wrong.

Originally we were going to use the 3002s for the width channels but I am not sure that will work since the left and right channels are so close to the side walls.

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 2

I see. Have to say with adjustment on avr they should be ok...maybe not though...interesting to see or hear the results you would get either way. Bet your system sounds frickin awesome either way.

Hopefully we will be testing it early in July. I think I am going to have to hold up on the 1/4 pies for a bit though as the HT is running more than planned and cash flow is less than planned.

• Like 2

I favor FH channels if the distance between the mains and FW is less than 6 ft. SB, FH, Surronds, and FW speakers all provide spatial cues. If the speakers are to close together you loose the advantage of the extra speakers. SB speaker have a bigger impact than FH or FW if they are are not bookself.

• Like 2

I have not seen a 3002. Can you post a pic?

Is this behind a screen?

Here is a pair someone is selling... http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649092961-klipsch_pro_speakers_wpassive_subs/

They will be in the soffits above the screen (sideways) if they are used for the height channels. They are about the same height as the La Scalas. If they are used as surrounds or rear surrounds then they would be flush mounted to the walls or in a column. They will not be seen in either situation as I will have acoustically transparent fabric covering them.

• Like 1

I favor FH channels if the distance between the mains and FW is less than 6 ft. SB, FH, Surronds, and FW speakers all provide spatial cues. If the speakers are to close together you loose the advantage of the extra speakers. SB speaker have a bigger impact than FH or FW if they are are not bookself.

With the current setup... The front speakers are around 4' tall with the ceiling being almost 9'. Whatever I use for heights will have to be on it's side, and just below the ceiling (angled toward the MLP.The only way I can see using width channels is if I was to put them on the side walls about 1/2 way from the MLP, and the screen.... Otherwise there will be no space between them and the left and right channels.

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 1