Question for the group

akdave

• Moderators
Too funny Dtel. I'm always open to buying speakers that allow me to demo when I know there is no chance of losing money if I decide to sell it.

Really I was somewhat being serious, when deals like come up unless you just plain can't afford it it's crazy not to buy. Especially if it's something you wanted to hear. You can only lose a little time trying to resell at worst, but you know this as well as anyone.

I was not looking for any of these things but I would have bought them also, at that price for sure.

I wasn't making fun of you,(maby a little with the name) it's the smart thing to do, the receiver and surrounds would probably get his money back, just guessing ?

My first Klipsch had rear SS-1's, pretty good speaker and I did like the design it works great, this was before side surrounds came about.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Really I was somewhat being serious, when deals like come up unless you just plain can't afford it it's crazy not to buy.

Trust me, I know you were being serious. That's why I always try and keep some money set aside just for those types of too good to pass up type of deals.

I wasn't making fun of you,(maby a little with the name)

No worries, I didn't take offense to your comments at all. Truth hurts. :lol:

Daryl - you are correct - I hadn't even looked yet! RC 3 it is. Still haven't hooked them up - May be later in the week.

I'm grateful to have found this out for the price I did - I was pretty zeroed in on the chorus's. But lesson learned - slow the heck down and pay attention! :-)

• Like 1

• Moderators
No worries, I didn't take offense to your comments at all. Truth hurts.

Never any offense intended, maby a bad joke I could be sorry for but that's it. If I were really upset about anything on this forum I would just not reply, before saying something I would probably be sorry for, hopefully at least.

I think the way you tried different equipment is great, it's almost guaranteed you will lose money buying anything new that don't work out, buying used at a fair or good price is much smarter.

• Moderators
But lesson learned - slow the heck down and pay attention! :-)

I still think you did great, the Chorus alone were a steal at that price.

:emotion-21:

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Absolutely still a great find! The SS1's are worth $100 and the RC-3 between $100 - $150 so you just picked up a FREE pair of Chorus!

Absolutely still a great find! The SS1's are worth $100 and the RC-3 between $100 - $150 so you just picked up a FREE pair of Chorus!

Exactly what I was thinking I myself would turn the RC's for my money back and find a home for the Chorus in a secondary system, awesome score Dave :)

I finally got some time to sit down and listen to the Chorus's. They sound great! That's a scientific term. I'm a novices novice at this so please bear with my description.

It's impressive to me that 20+ year old speakers can still sound so clean! I cleared 97dB without a hint of distortion and I think back to my HS days and the speakers I had - which I thought were awesome - and how I could start to make them sound like flatulence at moderate volumes but I was sure they were the pinnacle of audio world! (Google Panasonic Thrusters)

Anyway the Chorus's are beasts in their own rite! They sounded simply wonderful with everything I put through them from Allison Krauss, to Toto, to Peter Cetera, to Metallica. I may have been bitten by the bug, I'd really like to hear LaScalas or KHorns now as this has at least piqued my interest.

I like the Rf 7ii's better. That's probably a combination of familiarity bias and I think they're a little more punchy on the bass end. The 7ii's have a "tighter" sound and I like that. The Chorus, IMHO sounded better at volume then at lower levels (compared to themselves not the 7's), if I took more time, I'm sure I would hear more of their abilities and presence at lower volume, but for now this is all going into the theater room (see separate thread in the Architectural section of the theater build) and when I go down there to do music and movies it's usually going to be fairly loud.

I think the Chorus sound is maybe a bit warmer and less "in your face" than the 7's.

Overall - I'm glad I pulled the trigger! I am going to get the surrounds and center on Craigslist soon and this has been a good experience for me - maybe one day someone will sell a pair of LaScalas or horns up here...

• Like 1

• Moderators

Great news, but bad for you, your standing on the edge and it's really really slippery, we have lost a few others lately because they have fallen over the edge, just be careful it's a dangerous place your at.

I am only partly kidding.

Edit; Ps put where your from up there on the left under your pic, some one may live in the area with something you might want to listen to ?

promise we won't rob you...but just to be safe be a little vague no addresses please :lol:

Edited by dtel

• Moderators
we have lost a few others lately because they have fallen over the edge

:blink2: Someone throw me a rope!!!!

Sorry but for some it's already to late, if we did throw you one you probably wouldn't grab it this late in the game.

So Youthdude what does the wife think of the different sound ? Considering everything you do youthdude is kind of fitting, hope you don't mind me saying that, and keep up the good job with the kiddies. :emotion-21: God knows they need help and direction, literally.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Sorry but for some it's already to late, if we did throw you one you probably wouldn't grab it this late in the game.

Sorry, that was just the voices in my head talking. I'm ok now. :lol:

So Youthdude what does the wife think of the different sound ?

She's never heard the LaScalas. She has no interest whatsoever in audio. It's just not her thing. I remember her telling me one time that the TV speakers sounded the same as my previous RF-83's. :wacko:

Considering everything you do youthdude is kind of fitting, hope you don't mind me saying that,

Not at all. Don't worry dtel, you won't ever offend me with any of your comments.

• Moderators

Thanks dtel - and done.

WOW I might have to take back that statement that someone might be close to you. :o

That's really out there but you never know ?

My wife's brother lives and works somewhere in Alaska, some unbelievable scenery up there and some of the best hunting and fishing in the world. But being from down here a little to close to the sun, I think I would die in that kind of cold, or anything that starts with a -.

Although a beautiful area for sure.

• Like 1

Billybob I agree - I would call it a total work horse/Jack of all trades kind of speaker! IMO nothing sounded bad at all - possibly some could sound better but it's a completely subjective evaluation. Works for all kinds of music very well!

Edited by akdave
  • Like 1

Billybob I agree - I would call it a total work horse/Jack of all trades kind of speaker! IMO nothing sounded bad at all - possibly some couple sound better but it's a completely subjective evaluation. Works for all kinds of music very well!

Yes, that was a nice little review you have going there. The Chorus was my first and we still have it. You even mentioned the bass in your comparison with 7ii's. Enjoy and if you keep them, remember the mod/recap can be done with the port holes and crossovers. First, a nice listening season is maybe in order if you want. Congrats!

• Like 1