Can anybody help me pick out an Onkyo receiver?

mattSER

Was wondering if anybody could breakdown the Onkyo heirarchy for me? Maybe just some insight into their model naming scheme? I currently have an Onkyo HT-R530 7.1 receiver(110w/ch).

I briefly owned a 65w/ch Adcom amp and noticed a marked improvement in stereo separation and slight improvement in detail. However, it was MUCH less powerful and bass response fell through the floor.

Is there a nicer, modern Onkyo reciever that can approach the quality of a pre/pro set-up? I'm looking to buy a used model off of ebay or my local craigslist.

I'm going to be powering a pair of RF-35s and definitely want 125w/ch or more.

My current receiver also does not power "Speaker Zone B" when I am using a digital input! So I would really like to make sure I can bi-amp with digital signals(in direct mode) on my next receiver.

I'm hoping to spend no more than $500.

Can anybody recommend a specific model? Or, if possible, check ebay or Denver craigslist for me?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

The Onkyo TX-NR818 I think has fallen into that $500 price range, used. It is now discontinued but has a ton of features, and it does not have the HDMI board problems that the 616 and under models have.

It is still very highly rated, and I think it is better than the newer 828 model that replaced it.

FYI I own the 717 and I have nothing but good things to say about it, and for the 1.5 years I have had it has been nothing but reliable. It has 125 wpc vs 135 for the 818, and mine has the lesser Audyssey vs the very highly rated Audyssey MultEQ XT32, which is the main reason most prefer the 818 over the 717.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-e9RMClvsKjt/p_580TXN818/Onkyo-TX-NR818.html

There is an entire thread devoted to it on AVS.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/0_50

+++

Edit: I just re-read your post. The Onk does NOT have Zone 2 in digital, I think that is analog only, but I'm not sure. It does have pre-amp out on all channels, and it does have bi-amp. If you use the bi-amp, you can only go to 5.1 processing, but you still can do height/wide channels, even if bi-amped.

Edited by wvu80

Alright, thanks guys. My sights are set on the 818.

One more question. there is an Emotiva UPA-200 for sale locally. It pushes 125w but cannot bi-amp. Do you still think I would see an improvement using the brass jumpers?

What if I got two of them?

Your best bet is if you can find an Onk 818 for $500. There is nothing wrong with the Emotiva, but it only has a fraction of the features of the 818 because of what it is, an amplifier, while the 818 is an AVR with tons of codecs and listening modes which greatly affect the overall sound. The 818 has more rated power if you believe manufacturers numbers, and it will bi-amp right out of the box.

+++

My guess: The 818 will provide as much power to the 35's as the speakers can handle, bi-amped or not. My other guess is that bi-amping may not give you as much improvement as you might think.

Do your own research on bi-amping, there is even a sticky thread here on this forum. After that, let your ears be your guide. :)

The Onkyo TX-SR805 is an overbulit beast(50+ pounds) of a receiver that featured high quality parts, massive power supply, and most if not all bells and whistles(except networking) that were available in the 2007 models. It was basically a $2000.00 AVR with an msrp of $1099.00. Crazy huge bang for the buck AVR that no other mfr could touch at that price point. Hence when the 806 arrived the next year, it shed over 13.5 pounds, offered no more usable features, and still cost $1099.00.

Bill

• Like 1

Well, I've been reading that the 805 is a true beast of an amp. $425 seem a bit high?

Well, if you are planning on using the onboard amps, you will not find another $400.00 HDMI 1.3a receiver that has it's low impedance driving capabilities. As a pre/pro, you may be better off getting something newer for a couple of hundred more.

I have owned my TX-SR705 for over 7 trouble free years and will keep it until it gives up the ghost. The 705 has all the features of the 805 but weighs in at "only" 28.5 pounds but is still pretty stout for it's size. It sounds fantastic for HT and does an admirable job for music. The 805 steps it up a bit for music with better DACs and a better analog stage.

I personally think that $425.00 is not out of line in price.

Bill

Edited by willland

Alright, thanks guys. My sights are set on the 818.

One more question. there is an Emotiva UPA-200 for sale locally. It pushes 125w but cannot bi-amp. Do you still think I would see an improvement using the brass jumpers?

What if I got two of them?

I own one as of a few months ago, and it's one of the best upgrades to my all-horn system ever. The newer model took out the Audyssey XT/32 and went backwards to a plain XT...........bad move IMHO. Get the 818 ASAP, you won't regret it.

Your best bet is if you can find an Onk 818 for $500. There is nothing wrong with the Emotiva, but it only has a fraction of the features of the 818 because of what it is, an amplifier, while the 818 is an AVR with tons of codecs and listening modes which greatly affect the overall sound. The 818 has more rated power if you believe manufacturers numbers, and it will bi-amp right out of the box.

+++

My guess: The 818 will provide as much power to the 35's as the speakers can handle, bi-amped or not. My other guess is that bi-amping may not give you as much improvement as you might think.

Do your own research on bi-amping, there is even a sticky thread here on this forum. After that, let your ears be your guide. :)

I never believe the power numbers but as Klipsch speaker owners, who cares if it's 20 or 21.3 db Watts? (100 W vs. 135 watts). I got my 818 for $600 as a refurb.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 4 weeks later...