Klipsch KLF speakers?

jimjimbo

I know pretty much nothing about the Klipsch KLF speakers, and I see them come up for sale quite often. 10's, 20's, 30's....

Was wondering what the consensus (really, did I say that?) is about these speakers, how they would compare to Heritage speakers, and if there is a good reference point to do more reading and research on these...thanks!!

very good speakers... I've owned all three.

I just don't have room or need for them in my set up. for me it would be like using a sledge hammer to fix a pair of glasses... I prefer to use a more "accurate" tool.

four of them would be great for a HT.

Edited by Schu

They're not quite a Heritage sound, too me they're a little more harsh. But there are a lot of factors that can lead someone to that conclusion.

KLF20's were my first Kipsch speakers and I bought them pretty much listened-unheard. Mine do not suffer from the faulty glue that holds them together so I'm glad for that. But a lot of the earlier production stock did. There is an easy fix for it though.

Getting the upgrade bug I did a few things to them such as ordered Bob Crites' crossovers, installed his Ti tweeter diaphragms and tried out bi-wiring from the amp. It made some differences and I was content for a number of years.

Then I found a set of Cornwalls that I couldn't do without. Grabbed a friend and my dad's truck and drove from Cincinnati to Barington (sp?), Illinois in NW Chicagoland. Picked them up, drove back, returned the truck and the friend all in about 16-hours. WHEWW!!

The sound stage of the CW's oppened up tremendously. They just sounded dull from the crossover caps being so old. Put in Bob's new crossovers there too and changed them into Cornscala's with all new drivers and Dave Harris' Fast Trac mid horns.

What were we talking about, again??

Edited by Mighty Favog

Hi, Jim in Indiana,

To your question: 1) I am no expert, and there are many here, 2) so, my "average ears" may be part of the answer you are looking for, 3) I have no experience with the Heritage line, and 4) I do own 30s (fronts) and 20s (surrounds). I absolutely love the great power, balance, range, and clarity that I think I hear. They look, feel, and sound very solid! Further, their sensitivity makes the wattage of a receiver a less critical and limiting factor than what faces many listeners with their equipment.

It may horrify some to hear here (ha ha), but I do not count how many angels can dance on the head of a pin--or apply that same level of precision to my appreciation or my analysis of HT or musical perfection--so I need to be excused from a highly technical discussion/evaluation. That all said, they sound fantastic! It would be hard for me to imagine that you would not enjoy them greatly.

And, if the wanderlust bug hits in the future, you will have a whole other adventure, and you can marvel at how much your knowledge and sophistication have grown as that process plays out--until the next bug hits. As for me, who knows, I may re-purpose them upon my death, and be set out to sea in them . . . .

Good luck,

Jim in St. Louis

I have had all three and my favorites are the 10s. The 20/30s are 3 ways so I feel that the mids are much more in your face, enough to say that after listening for any period of time my ears hurt. I have 30s in the garage now and am going through the should they stay or should they go dilema. I have had Chorus IIs and quartets(3-ways also) with no such issue so I guess the drivers/circuits are significantly different.

That being said I am sure that I am in the minority in my preference. I also had a set of the KG5.5 which appear to be almost identicle to the 10. I feel that my 10s ran circles around them though.

I have an all KLF (except the sub) HT system consisting of 30's, 10's and C-7. I also run a 2 ch system with CW III's. I've had a number of Heresys as well and grew up around LaScalas and K-Horns. I like both Heritage and KLF but for different reasons. Heritage speakers, to my ear, have a more refined sound and I prefer them for 2 ch listening. The KLF's could certainly be used for 2 ch but I prefer them for HT based on their somewhat more dramatic, in-your-face approach and a slightly more hard hitting bass. Both types of speakers clearly benefit from really good amps. For example, I thought the KLF's were sounding harsh or tinny on the high end until I got rid of my Denon AVR and upgraded to Marantz separates in the HT. They sound fantastic now. The highs and mids are smoother and even the bass hits harder and is better defined and the clarity of the entire HT system is great. Would NOT trade the KLF's. Similar story upgrading the amps in the 2 ch system. Bottom line, I think, is that these are very different speakers and what's best is what sounds best to you. Just treat them well with the best amps you can afford.