Bookshelves?

jtubbs6117

I have a question about the "bookshelf" speakers.

If you are buying a large bookshelf, why not also look at small towers if you need to use a stand? The price of the stand can get you close to the tower in most cases.

well for a perfect instance, if you were to look at say the rb-61 speaker with stands maybe close to 500-600 dollars depending on stands. now throw in the rf-52's at around the same price. i have owned them both and can assure you the larger horn with the 61's will provide larger sound than the rf-52's. they have a much smaller horn

• Like 1

I have a question about the "bookshelf" speakers.
If you are buying a large bookshelf, why not also look at small towers if you need to use a stand? The price of the stand can get you close to the tower in most cases.

TWK,

In theory, I understand and agree with what you are saying.

In reality, in my case I have RB-75's and they are big bookshelf speakers at 20.2"H x 10.0"W x 11.75"D(speaker foortprint = 117.5 sq. in.) and weigh 32lbs. No debating that. To get the "equivalent" performance from a Reference tower you would(at minimum) need to get the RF-62 which measures 40.6"H x 8.5"W x 15.5"D(speaker footprint = 131.75 sq. in.) and weigh 54lbs. The stands plus the new longer boards from HD cost me less than $100.00 + $600.00 for the RB-75's.

With the above mentioned facts, I don't totally agree.

Now throw in the footprint of my speaker stands(12" x 12" = 144 sq. in.), that changes one aspect of things a bit. Either way, I personally would rather have the RB-75's(larger horn and tweeter, more density, real wood veneer) over the RF-62's or even the RF-82's for that matter.

Bill

Edited by willland

• Moderators
Who needs to waste $$$ buying new stands when you can go to HD and have four 6" x 20" poplar boards cut?

Looks as good and mostly better than what you can buy, very nice for what you get with diy and price can't be beat.

Guys I got the RB 75's and love the sound. My next question regarding Bookshelves..Does anyone use a particular way to mount or anchor your speakers to the stands? Thanks. The link to the stands I got is above. Thank you all for the feedback.

Edited by jtubbs6117

Guys I got the RB 75's and love the sound. My next question regarding Bookshelves..Does anyone use a particular way to mount or anchor your speakers to the stands? Thanks. The link to the stands I got is above. Thank you all for the feedback.

I don't see a link Jeff. The RB-75 have threaded inserts on the bottom the I used to run through the top plate of my stands. Let me dig around for a pic or two and will email you what I'm talking about.

Thanks D. I took a look at the bottom of the RB's before work today saw the holes. I will see if they line up with my stands if not it maybe time to get the drill out for the stands.

Jeff,

That's what I will be doing after I finish "altering" my stands.

Bill