SOLD: Type AA Crossovers

Deang

SOLD

I built these for the LaScalas I just purchased. I needed a good listening baseline, so I went with old reliable -- the Auricap XO.

Nothing fancy board-wise, just some Poplar -- but I did sand and rub them out with wax.

These come with the squawker knocked down an additional 3dB, which works out real well for larger rooms or for live level listening. This is done by using 15 ohm resistors in parallel with the midrange driver, and then moving the jumper on the autotransformer to -6. I listened to a wide variety of Blu-ray concerts, and the sound was truly outstanding.

To revert back to stock, the modification is easily reversible, and the stock setting does work better for those who listen in quasi-nearfield, or who simply prefer a livelier sounding midrange with some bite. Simply remove the resistor and move the jumper back to -3.

The crossovers are being sold for the retail prices of the parts. Since I get OEM pricing, I will make a little on these, but not much. I'm waiving my labor.

Be nice to your ears.

$425.00 shipped (to the lower 48).

post-1106-0-02460000-1403300167_thumb.jp

post-1106-0-39760000-1403300282_thumb.jp

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 1

I'm reorienting myself to the Heritage sound. I started by building the best set of AAs I would consider using myself and/or selling to someone else. This was my standard AA build for almost a decade, well, minus the zener diodes. I listened to them for a week, and now it's time to move to the next network -- the SuperX. Already sold, and since they need to go out Monday -- I only get them for the weekend. The loose parts on the front board are the parts for one channel of the crossovers I'll be using long term -- Type AAs built with Jupiter flat stacked films, Jantzen copper foil inductors, and 3670 autotransformers. I'm basically just trying to recoup the cost of the build plus a little extra.

post-1106-0-36860000-1403310335_thumb.jp

The loose parts on the front board are the parts for one channel of the crossovers I'll be using long term -- Type AAs built with Jupiter flat stacked films, Jantzen copper foil inductors, and 3670 autotransformers.

Since I suspect that you have heard both the Jensen capacitors and Jupiter flat stack capacitors in cross-over networks, I'm curious in how you would describe the difference between the two.

I've always preferred the sound of the stock networks built with Jensens over any of the constant impedance designs - "economy" or otherwise. I believe the adjustability thing is a convenience feature, not a performance feature. The fixed/balanced designs always sound better to me. I don't steer anyone to the SuperX unless they plan on ripping into their top sections and doing the horn/driver thing. Sometimes it doesn't work, they just have to have that ability to fiddle.

The Charge Coupled Crossover is an attempt to get people in the range of that kind of performance/sound without having to take out a second mortgage. It took me three months of scrounging to save up the money for the Jupiter Type AAs I'm getting ready to build -- when you know what I know, and have heard what I've heard, it becomes a curse in a way. As great as these current AAs sound, I know this next build will kick the shit out of them. After a week of listening, I'll slide in some DC biased filters and see what happens.

I don't know what it is about the Auricap, but it is truly amazing for a metallized cap, and well, Deb thinks I'm nuts for selling these networks, but I don't need two sets of AAs, and I want to get to where I want to be -- vintage type capacitors in vintage networks.

Edited by DeanG

The loose parts on the front board are the parts for one channel of the crossovers I'll be using long term -- Type AAs built with Jupiter flat stacked films, Jantzen copper foil inductors, and 3670 autotransformers.

Since I suspect that you have heard both the Jensen capacitors and Jupiter flat stack capacitors in cross-over networks, I'm curious in how you would describe the difference between the two.

I have never heard the Jupiter in a Heritage loudspeaker. My decision to use them was driven by three factors, 1) Jeff Glowacki's personal assurance to me that after I heard them, I would never use the Jensen capacitors again, 2) customer feedback, 3) construction quality.

Discussion about the Flat Stacks on other message boards has them at the top of the heap when used with compression drivers.

Edited by DeanG