Week of deals continues - Rega Planet!!

Made my occasional rounds at the pawn shops today, and what do I find but a Rega Planet - $399 tag price, out the door for $300 after negotiation, and mint!! My only complaint is that it had no remote. No real big deal (I don't use my DVD remote except for onscreen menus).

Initial Impressions???

Smile.gif

My current CD player is a Pioneer DVD333, hooked up as digital through the toslink connection on my Krell. The Rega is hooked up to an analog input on the Krell (although it has no true analog pass through - the Krell returns the signal to digital). I have two identical copies of Bob Marley - Legend, so I start both CD's playing, and switch back and forth, at as close to identical volume as possible. The A/B test makes the winner immediately apparent - a fuller, more natural sound from the Rega. The Pioneer sounds thin by comparison.

I must say that the differences really surprise me, given that the Krell is doing the digital conversion in both cases. Goes to show that all transports are not created equal.

Now, I'll try switching the Rega to digital out to the Krell, and see what happens. OK, it's hooked up - and after A/Bing the analog vs. digital out on the Planet, analog out wins. Not so edgy, more "analog" - smoother response.

Nice machine - built like a tank. Using it as a weapon could cause serious damageSmile.gif Given that I paid $300 out the door for the source piece that I use most, it seems worth the money.

Thank you, Mobile Homeless, for the recommendation!

Edit: My wife has been subjected to the A/B tests. Same results. She is sold.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains) - Klipsch Academy (center channel) - Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Krell Home Theater Standard processor - Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

Bass Kit: 2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets - Crown CE 1000 amplifier - Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources: Rega Planet CD Player - Pioneer DV-333 - 2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks - General Instruments cable box - Panasonic VHS PV-4459 - Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 07-23-2002 at 07:29 PM

Heck of a deal! I wish I had that king of Pawn shoppe near me. All I ever find is old technics digital and beat up realistic speakers!

Makes you wonder what situation the seller of the Rega was in to pawn that piece. Must have really needed cash in a hurry, and you KNOW he only got maybe $150 for it!

Jobman

Nice find. Great price. The lack of remote is a bit problematic with the Rega Planet as there are several controls that are ONLY accessed with their remote.

One of the most important besides the obvious lack of track control is DISPLAY which enables you to turn the display on or off (also dimming).

Based on past experience, Klipsch Forum personnel will scratch heads, but I have to report that TURNING OFF THE DISPLAY results in better sound. No doubt about it. If you set it to DISPLAY OFF, the display only lights when inserting or starting a CD and when changing tracks. Otherwise, you have no digital readout interference.

For those owning a Planet, try leaving the display off.

I would recommend you write Rega to see if any all-in-0ne remotes can access these functions. The Rega Planet actually has minimal controls on the player with a majority located on their remote. Perhaps you might see if the remote is not too expensive to replace. It is not my favorite remote by any means, but it is worthwhile.

I also second the importance of interconnects with the Rega Planet. Just recently, I re-auditioned a past pair of IC and I found that Alpha Core Goertz T2 Silver works well and is very smooth while still being extended. See below.

t2.jpg

I am currently using DIYCable Superlative with excellent results as well.

kh

ps- Never turn the player OFF.

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-24-2002 at 08:53 AM

Thanks for the advice, Mobile!

Where can the Alpha Core be purchased online?? The DIY cable place is on vacation until the end of the month, and the Alpha Core website is down. I guess I can be patient and find a pair used, as well. "High end audio" is not real common here in town - very limited options.

I contacted the US distributor to find out about the remote.

Just curious - why no power down?? Is it just easier on the gear to leave it on? Does the unit "warm up" for a period after power up?

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 07-24-2002 at 08:59 AM

"ps- Never turn the player OFF."

For getting this item from the pawn shop to home, I recommend using a portable generator which you can have running in your car or truck, either that, or if you live close, a charged up battery and inverter (not as much time). I once needed to move a commercial video game to my house and did not want to loose my high score, so the generator was the best way to do this. See if you can get a tall guy wlth funny hair named Kramer to help you.

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Any CD player benefits from being left on all the time as there is a tremendous warmup time for digital (those that disagree, no need to argue, this is my opinion from experience with no data to backup - data lovers beware). CD players sound even less smooth upon power up which is problematic. I never turn off my CD players unless leaving town or wanting the absolute best from vinyl as your CD player put out a lot of line pollution. My Rega has not been off since I bought it except to change IC and/or audition LPs for friends. Leave it on and forget about it.

As for the IC question, Goertz AlphaCore TQ can be purchased directly from their site and auditioned and returned if not happy. Rest assured, there is a LONG breakin time. Still, a note of caution as the first time I had these IC in, I really thought them too bright and not as transparent or open as my DIYCable Superlative. IT was only this last time that I liked them, perhaps because they were more broken in as a friend had them for another few months. Obviously, your results may differ.

The DIYCable Superlative is a GREAT IC for the money but only comes in kit form. If you can do some soldering, it's a great deal. The kits are top notch with good instructions. I really do like the Superlative with the Planet.

Check out Jazman's IC to Planet as well. He likes his Silver Lace IC.

kh

Mobile,

A good number of people agree with you. When I bought my MSB Link DAC III, the factory advised me that I should leave it on all the time or be prepared for sub-optimum sound for at least and HOUR or more after turning it on! BTW those MSB people are great and were very helpful in setting me up for the optimal sound from my Sony changers, highly recommended from a CRM standpoint not to mention they make a GREAT product!

Regards, Tony

A good deal of people do agree with mobile and I myself commend him he must have the most sensitive ears on earth ! The CD players sound better with the Display off. I thought I heard it all !!

Kelly just ribbing you don't take it to heart Smile.gifSmile.gif

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

This is not that esoteric or obscure an observation; it just seems that way in here. LED displays are a known problem for years and many companies have had ways of defeating them for quite some time now. This is actually rather old hat. Again, what seems esoteric and obscure for one seems common to another.

I dont have any LEDs from clocks or microwaves or cable boxes etc on my audio power lines.

Of course, I also measure my speakers from every distance for exact placement and believe in all sorts of ways of isolation etc. Ditto with interconnects and speakers wires. Ditto with dampening devices. Ditto with ferite cores for RFI blockage. Ditto for a lot of things I dont even mention here...

These differences add up in my view and from my experience. Many other neglect them all and are happy as pigs in a blanket with none the worse for wear. Of course, many others dont hear the differences between CD players, amplifiers, interconnects, speaker wires, power cords, isolation feet, stands, turntables, analog vs digital....etc. The list is endless.

When I first ventured into this forum, many on here doubted all sorts of things. Interestingly enough, I have watched the change of many within this forum as they have progressed via the equipment chain combined with experience and more attention to detail.

13 months ago, the mere mention of this subject would have brought 20 responses of incredulous angst. Now we have one or two.... When I first talked of the merits of tube amplification, I must have had 20 or so naysayers talking of distortion and colored, rolled off sound. I guess they have given up or been converted.... It's been an interesting ride to say the least. I didnt earn that rather pathetic "no life" designation without a hefty amount of battle scars.... It's almost embarrassing.

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-24-2002 at 05:46 PM

As for the A/B comparison with the display on and off, dont bother. This really IS one of the most subtle changes I can report. Almost like the difference between a 7 and 9 knot breeze against your face. BUT I cant tell you how many times over the last years I have noticed something rather more negative about the sound, and looked to see the display was turned back on. It's almost a joke with Audrey. I'll yell in, "See if the display is on." And she'll respond back, "Yep..."

Dont you just love science? It's the kind of stuff that makes Mr. Warren smile with glee...

kh

I feel very indebted when such recommendations on this forum bring real results here at home. I can't speak for the "esoteric" observations (yet), but the Rega Planet recommendation was right on the money. Now that I have gear that will show those subtle differences, I can find out how much difference cables and IC's make in my system.

I will switch the current Radio Shack interconnects to one of the recommended models of IC and see what difference it makes to my ears. It will take a week or two for me to find and get the cables, so I will get accustomed to the RS cables first. I may get a used set, too - I've got a line on a pair.

I look forward to trying it out.

I live on Reno, the pawn shop capitol of the world. THERE IS NOT JACK S%IT HERE! All it is is stolen tools and car stereos (also stolen.)

Oh well, at least I can get good deals on the internet...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I've located a used set of Alpha Core Goertz Silver Sapphire cables. Should have them in a week - I'll report my test results when it happens.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

KRB - I think that stuff like this shows up here because high end audio isn't really big around here. The owner at the shop where I found the Rega was clueless about the machine. I can't find a store that sells digital cables (toslink or coax) longer than 10 feet, for example. In many cases at pawn shops with a knowledgeable owner, the owner never allows high end units on the floor (since he knows what they are really worth - they go to ebay). High end is so rare here that most local pawn shop owners don't really know what they have (other than a blue book value)....and we all know that the blue book doesn't translate into real world worth of an item.

Pawn shop tours are a regular thing for me. Getting a deal like this once a year makes it worth it. I've also given thought to posting a wanted ad in the paper for a period of time, listing desired brands, in hopes of getting a deal on certain classic audio gear that I want (example: Mcintosh amps and Khorns). I've been missing out on estate sales due to work schedules lately - another good place for great deals.

mobile, my suggestion about keeping the rega powered up while transporting it was strictly for humor. I guess I forgot to adorn my post will lots of LOL's and smiley faces. So you do not need to always assume the defensive as if skeptics were going to pounce, I think that style is now only found in the "politcal " flame war threads.

I do not question nor scoff at your useful observations and knowledge, and in fact, if I get a rega, I probably will keep it on as you suggest and also obtain those high quality interconnects. Since I do play vinyl I am concerned about this other problem of line induced noise etc. Is there some other way to filter or shield this while still leaving the rega powered up? How noticeable is the problem? do you leave the rega on for "everyday" playing of vinyl, switching it off only for "special occasions" of vinyl playing?

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Actually, I wasnt really responding to you as it was obviously humor oriented. If you scan the text, I think the entire post (the last one that is) was directed at NOS LED observation, another humorous remark. My post after yours was not defensive at all, just explaining it further.

I dislike smiley faces, LOL, JK, with a passion and would groan if you resorted to that.

The last post, which was mainly concerning NOS's comment, was just an observation as to how far this place has come in a year, where even tube amp discussion brought disdain for awhile.

As for the Rega power thing, I just leave it on all the time about 99% of the time. It is only when I am screwing around with vinyl and someone is coming over that I really want to impress that I might turn it off. By and large, people want to hear both media so in general, unless I am having a vinyl playback fest, which I do occasionally, I just leave the beast on with the display off. This sounds better to me and puts less strain on the display as well since the unit is never powered down. In addition, many DAC companies have no way to turn off their units as it is on when plugged in.

If looking for a solution for the power corruption, you will notice that most power filters from good brands have a separate outlet JUST for digital that is not conected to the other banks. Even lowly monster does this. Although, as I have said in the past, I am not really a big fan of power filters, especially with amplification. If you do use them, I would only put your source gear on and perhaps your preamp.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-25-2002 at 02:26 PM

I use a Theta Jade transport, which has the "display off" option. I too notice a subtle difference (resolution and smoothness, mostly). However, the sonic effects of turning of the display don't become apparent immediately. It takes one to three minutes before everything cleans up a little after I turn off the display. Weird....

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....