New Purist Surround System

Mallette

Well, "new" in the sense it is dedicated and has its own space, and is designed as such. Basics are a Panasonic SA-XR70 Class D HT unit and 4 Frazier Mark IV speakers. The PAW and I just finished first test. She likes it, and I know more than just a little because it caused her to begin to rhapsodize about our old dream of traveling and recording esoteric music and such. Sacred Harp gatherings, the fiddle fests that few ever hear from the NE Texas woods, all sorts of wonderful things going on out there as acoustic space/time events that are not memorialized.

Anyway, Spankers from nearly 15 years ago sounded awesome in the sound field. More of a "sweet area" than "sweet spot" as four converging channels creates a larger good listening area than 2. Ambience all around, applause and audience firmly where they belong. I am beginning to realize that listening areas need to be re-designed for a truly "high fidelity" experience to reality. It appears to me...and the PAW...that having the speakers at eye level is probably best for most material. You have to have an unobstructed path the rear speakers as well as the front and distance, tilt, and toe in need to be identical as possible and the four speakers must acoustically match as well.

But back to the main point. Our experience was wonderful. The real high fidelity to the original live experience that is the goal of the audiophile. I am ready to re-engage in recording as I can find the right events and spaces to do so.

I was also reminded of how insane that whole passionate whirlwind was. I built a 4 channel machine with 10,000rpm SCSI drives...fastest available in 2000...then shoved 4 channels of 24/192 audio at 30mbps down the pipe. That was crazy, and there are occasional latency issues. IMHO, however, the lack of perfection is completely offset by the fact that it worked at all. My friend Lonelobo and I had to string and secure cable and power from the stage to my van parked outside and do so ensuring the safety both of the equipment as well as the several hundred patrons who came to the two shows.

Now, I won't be going quite that nuts. The machines and SSDs are easily able to handle the throughput now and I am satisfied that 24/96 is adequate.

Now, to find the software that allows a universally "hit play" capability to playback 4 channel files. I understand it is out there, but no amount of search has found it yet. HDTT offers such files...interleave FLAC I think...but I've not been able to get them to reveal what software is used to save them. If anybody knows, please enlighten me. Right now I am playing stuff back with my Roland 4 channel recorder...but I can't expect you guys to go out and buy a Roland just to listen to 4 channel audio!

Need to add this. While it is claimed that DVD-A and SACD surround affords discrete treatment of files, I have yet to hear it from either. I used a couple of different DVD-A mastering packages and neither sounded remotely as good as the 4 channels played back independently. SACD remains so locked down that few can afford it, so I can't try that. Right now, I just want that file format to allow me to interleave 4 channels discretely for download. It is all I trust at the moment.

Onward!

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Well, "new" in the sense it is dedicated and has its own space, and is designed as such. Basics are a Panasonic SA-XR70 Class D HT unit and 4 Frazier Mark IV speakers.

(snip)

Onward! - Dave

Hey, I know what those sound like! :D

And this is what they look like

post-58280-0-31420000-1406866961_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80