Connecting 4 speakers

KA1J

So is there an official name for this type of dual speaker 2.0 set up?

it's known as the "newbie" set up

LOL I'm in my 60's, been playing music on stage for 50 years & been enjoying stereo for that & more. It's nice to be a newbie again! ;)

Edited by KA1J

I have a pair of Chorus and just picked up a pair of Forte. I'm thinking of connecting each pair in series / one Chorus & one forte on each side. The amp (NAD 218 THX) is good for 4 ohms.

Any reasons I shouldn't do this or any alternate suggestions?

Thanks!

What happen it you split signal at preamp out for two set of power amp? CJ has two pre out on preamp? does the preamp, lose lot of power?

So is there an official name for this type of dual speaker 2.0 set up?

it's known as the "newbie" set up

I saw that with a quad of laScala two upside down on the first pair and imaging was amazing!

Imaging precision was the first thing I noticed! I was surprised because I actually thought it would take a step backward with twin horns battling each other.

@ Beeker: When I got the Forte's home today the first thing I did was read this thread & then hooked the speakers up properly. I played them for about an hour At a good listening level & when I shut everything off I touched the amp and it was barely warm, not at all hot. So far running into 4 ohms doesn't seem to be fazing it at all. I can't imagine that would hurt the crossovers in the speakers but your thoughts might be spot on so I'll let Bob know what I'm wanting to do. No sense asking for advise unless you're willing to use it ;)

Right on. I figured as much considering you do have good equipment and along with that comes knowledge.

I have to say only 5-6 years ago this was the way i did it. I never once burned 1 amp up or receiver for that matter.

Its like was posted by minermark in the 3rd post the pic of the pissing the neighbors off shirt. The only time i ever had a problem was when i hooked 3 pairs of other brands(2 pair infinity and 1 pair boston acoustics) large floorstanders with 2 subs about 6-7 years ago the cops and the whole neighborhood was at my door, true story...

I had to bring up what you read all over the net or at least did years ago...nobody said you could or should do it but i did and i did all the time.

My first nib receiver i bought at radio shack when i was about 12(a little 50x2) i had every speaker i could find hooked up to that thing. It sold itself cause an older buddy of mine back then traded his whole stereo for it which was a big deal and around when i got this audio bug bad.

These days with all the money and gear i want i try to do things correctly. I wonder if somehoe one day i wont fall back into the same state of hooking it all up to 2 channels. I know a guy that has some really sweet gear and hooks his stuff up this same way. One setup he has is with a big 5 channel amp all running of stereo preouts and a wall full of speakers running off of it.

Its all good. I felt wrong to post what most manufacturers specifications deem incorrect to do.

Ultimately you do without doubt have the right equipment to do exactly what you are doing the way its running. Even with less quality gear it works.

Rock on. Just dont fall asleep(i have lol) to deep with it turned all the way up...in case the neighbor is knocking on the door. Cause when the whole neighborhood is knocking on the back door and all your windows we're just pissing ourselves off lol

However you can enjoy it! Rock on!! :D

• Like 2

LOL, Back when I was like 20 I had some friends over for a garage jam & I had my Fender Twin with JBLs, the bass player had a 400w Marshall head & stack, full drum set & I forget all that was in the garage but it was about 2 hours into the jam & the cops showed up, the sound had carried along the railroad tracks & marsh to about a mile away & those "neighbors" had called the cops to shag us & it took them forever to find where we were at because I live at the end of a dead end & nowhere near them & nothing but nothing in-between.

Pissing off the neighbors.. LOL

• Like 1