Anamorphic lens

MichaelandKlipsch

We have a failure to communicate. Your taking a 2.35 aspect picture broadcast to a 16 x 9 aspect tv set with black bars, converting it without the black bars with the anamorphic lens and reprojecting it on a 2.35 x 1 screen with the lens rotated 90 degrees, not putting it back on a 16 x 9 TV set. I don't have a projection system so I will just wait for the 21 x 9 tv sets. Now I understand projector people.

JJK

Doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Your either loosing some of the picture or distorting it no matter what the anamorphic lens is doing. I have used

anamorphic lenses (2.66 x 1 horizontal plane) in the 60's taking movies.

Same here. I don't get it. When projecting one of the narrower aspect ratios, does it 1) distort the image, 2) chop off some of the image, or 3) change the aspect ratio that the filmmakers selected?

We have had good luck zooming. Our screen is 2.35, and 'scope fills the whole thing with great sharpness, and 1.37, 1.66, 1.78, and 1.85 all fill it from top to bottom ("common height"), and are each the appropriate width to achieve the shape the filmmakers intended, or at least expected.

Edited by Garyrc

Please be sure to tell us what happens when the movie is shot in one of the narrower aspect ratios, as discussed in my earlier post (below) and that of JJKIZAK, i.e., 1.85 or less. I get what happens with 2.35, etc., as shown in the videos. My best guess is that all aspect ratios of less than 2.35:1 will be projected in their normal shape, with black bars to the right and left. If so, I hope the Panamorph lens swings out of the way for these 3 or 4 aspect ratios (# depending on whether you count the old TV AR), so that the image does not have to go through more glass than necessary. I really hope Panamorph doesn't try to change the AR of these classic films. Thanks.

Earlier posts (quote not working)

Garyrc: Same here. I don't get it. When projecting one of the narrower aspect ratios, does it 1) distort the image, 2) chop off some of the image, or 3) change the aspect ratio that the filmmakers selected?

JJKIZAK: Doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Your either loosing some of the picture or distorting it no matter what the anamorphic lens is doing. I have used

Edited by Garyrc

Please be sure to tell us what happens when the movie is shot in one of the narrower aspect ratios, as discussed in my earlier post (below) and that of JJKIZAK, i.e., 1.85 or less. I get what happens with 2.35, etc., as shown in the videos. My best guess is that all aspect ratios of less than 2.35:1 will be projected in their normal shape, with black bars to the right and left. If so, I hope the Panamorph lens swings out of the way for these 3 or 4 aspect ratios (# depending on whether you count the old TV AR), so that the image does not have to go through more glass than necessary. I really hope Panamorph doesn't try to change the AR of these classic films. Thanks.

Earlier posts (quote not working)

Garyrc: Same here. I don't get it. When projecting one of the narrower aspect ratios, does it 1) distort the image, 2) chop off some of the image, or 3) change the aspect ratio that the filmmakers selected?

JJKIZAK: Doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Your either loosing some of the picture or distorting it no matter what the anamorphic lens is doing. I have used

In the original post a motorized sled is mentioned. You do need to slide the lens out of the way to watch the narrower ratios. The big issue with the lenses is the need for a curved screen to eliminate pincushion distortion which makes the image distorted when watching stuff with the lens shifted out of the way. Zooming works great for me and projectors will just be getting better at it in the future.

I have also noticed that Amazon has a slug of 21 x 9 computer monitors but only one Vizio 21 x 9 LED set. I am very baffled by this.

You might be able to create your own curved screen by extending a string from the projector location to the screen area and walk the string (with a pencil) across the viewing area to get the proper curve, then cut pieces of plywood to fasten the screen to them. We did this in the 1960's with our screen even though the 16mm anamorphic movie projection lenses were supposedly corrected to show on a flat screen. We did not see much difference but it was cool.

JJK

You might be able to create your own curved screen by extending a string from the projector location to the screen area and walk the string (with a pencil) across the viewing area to get the proper curve, then cut pieces of plywood to fasten the screen to them. We did this in the 1960's with our screen even though the 16mm anamorphic movie projection lenses were supposedly corrected to show on a flat screen. We did not see much difference but it was cool.

JJK

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, we had a DIY curved screen, just for the heck of it. We noticed the immersiveness of Todd-AO and other processes that used a curved screen, so we gave it a try. The curve was slight. It, indeed, was more immersive with Super 8 and 16 mm movies with matte box masking on the camera to provide about 2.2:1, as well as with color slides. Flash forward several decades .... when we were planning our home theater, we planned to have a curved screen, either with or without an anamorphic lens. The problem was that the HT was a combo HT, library, and music room, and we wanted to be able to look out the windows at the end of the room when we were not watching a movie. We tried to design every kind of curved screen that would roll up, or swing up, to the ceiling, or roll out from one side on a curved track, and finally gave it up. Now we're happy with a good and flat 130" true width Seymour 2.35 AT screen, and use the zoom to fill it completely with films shot in 2.35 or 2.39, and use common height for other formats. Still, the curve could have been cool ...