Horozontal Khorn.........I've got more time than money

I've had a single khorn in my bedroom for the past year or so. I use my unused iPhone 4S to either stream my favorite Rock radio station, KUPD, or iTunes. Both channels of a Marantz PM325 are used through a Audioplex mono mixer 200 http://www.audioplex.com/MonoMixer.htm

I am moving soon and I was just thinking about my options with this speaker. Of course the issue of having a good corner to used is my number 1 concern. Then I thought of something, why does the corner have to be vertical? why can't it be horizontal instead. Maybe others have done this before and maybe not but since I had the opportunity and I had the time I decided to try it out for myself.

I removed the top hat and pulled the bass bin out, laid her down and slid her tight to the wall. I used a stool as a stand for the top hat. I hooked everything back up and listened to Rage Against The Machine's 1st album. The performance was the same as when the speaker was in a normal corner. Not until after I set this up was I able to really get a sense of how much floorspace this speaker needs. So of course this is not a good option for current or potential Klipschorn owners but it IS a option. Maybe as a center channel for someone who doesn't have any depth restrictions their HT setup. Bass bin on the floor with the top hat on a shelf level with the listeners position.

No matter what it was a fun way to kill an hour messing around with my setup.

Edited by finallygotmyheresies
  • Like 1

That's interesting... Since the corner is the continuation of the folded horn, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

If you had the time, and a dozen friends, you could mount the KHorn on the ceiling into the corner. Now that would be a sight to behold. I wonder how it would sound??

The DJ biz I ran in the 70s used 4 Speakerlab SKhorns with enclosed backs (plywood). More than once I put one or more bass bins on the floor between the floor and the wall as you describe. It does produce similar bass to the orthodox corner placement but only if the "bottom" is up against the perpendicular wall, in which case there is no net reduction in footprint, it actually increases.

Edited by DizRotus

I forget who it was but a long time ago, a forum member rotated his center Khorn like I understand the OP is wanting to do.

My recollection of the reading is he felt it worked well.

I would however wonder if you are still losing something.

Khorn in a corner has three sides right? (floor, wall, wall)

Putting it along the wall/floor (if I understand correctly) you will lose a boundary, no??

I forget who it was but a long time ago, a forum member rotated his center Khorn like I understand the OP is wanting to do.

My recollection of the reading is he felt it worked well.

I would however wonder if you are still losing something.

Khorn in a corner has three sides right? (floor, wall, wall)

Putting it along the wall/floor (if I understand correctly) you will lose a boundary, no??

Yes. Unless the "bottom" is against the floor (normal), the ceiling (upside-down) or a wall in a corner (horizontal), all while the back is tight in a corner, whether wall to wall, wall to floor or wall to ceiling, bass will be seriously compromised.