little help buying srbs

gsxr_rcr

OK guys I'm trying to replace my quintet SL series. I'm running a Yamaha rx-v671 7.1 100x7. I currently have F30 towers, and s10 surrounds for the sides. I'm gonna buy a rc-52 for the center and I have a sw-450 10" sub. My question is I'm looking for Rear surrounds. I can get either another set of s-10's or a set of B-20's for 45 a piece. Any thoughts or recommendations on either speaker? You help would be greatly appreciated. I mostly watch movies and some music but mostly movies. I'm currently on an apt but will hopefully buying a house in the next year. Room size is currently 17x20. 50" plasma if that matters. 3d and all that jazz.

Thanks

The choice still stands. Mixing the lines is not a good idea in any setup. The best advice would be to either not purchase the RC-52 II, or to purchase a Synergy line center channel. For the wides, S-10's would probably work for you fine too with that setup, but the RC-52 doesn't belong in that mix.

The C20 would indeed be a better timbre match for the F30's if you can find one. It's a dual 5.25 like the rc-52.

As for rears, what about s20's? You didn't mention that, and it is a better db match for the big f30's...

Edited by mustang guy

OK. Thanks I can't find any s-20s locally and hhgregg is clearanceing out their old ones for 47 a piece. They currently only have the s10s and b20s in stock. I would eventually like to upgrade to the new reference but that isn't on the top of the priority list. The quintet sl's have been good but I wanted better. Just wasn't sure if having 4 s10's was the right way to go or not. The center channel is a quintet SL right now but I know it can be better. Thanks for the ideas

OK i get the whole timbre match thing, but I disagree with many in that I would rather buy the best speaker I can for a given spot and worry later about upgrading the rest. In the past I have lived happily with a center that does not exactly match my mains (or even no center) and it was not the end of the world. Surrounds are even less important to match. I would not trade my KPT surrounds for anything and they are not technically matches to my Khorn/Lascalla front stage. My advice (and this comes from someone that spent way to much on small upgrades over the years) is to decide what you want your system to be in the end, and buy it one piece at a time if that is all you can afford. Do not spend another penny on something that is not the end result you wish to achieve.

• Like 1

Thanks Bobdog. Eventually I would like to end up with a high end system but unfortunately my wallet doesn't agree. I've been looking at the c-20 and can find it for around 279. I can get a rc-52ii for 299 so for 20 bucks more I will have one piece of the puzzle. Unfortunately that's not my main concern right now. I guess my main question is should all 4 surrounds be the same or is there a reason the side surrounds should be different from the rear surrounds. Hopefully I can sell what I have now at a later time to help find the reference pieces.

Edited by gsxr_rcr

The c-20 is a weak link in that line. If the plan is to get a reference system down the road I would skip the c20. Run a phantom center tell you find a good deal on some used rf62s and a rc62 (first or ii would work).

This.

It's probably the best idea to cover things for the time being. 

Well I found a C-3 for a good price and ended up buying that. I started thinking that in reality I'm a few years from spending the real money I want to. All the reviews on the c-3 were very good. I noticed they never were replaced with a c-30 and that may or not be a good thing. I guess the silver lining is they are hard to find used so either they are crap or people dont want to get rid of them. Any thoughts on using a set of s-20s along with my s-10s. If so is there a preferred location for each set??

The choice still stands. Mixing the lines is not a good idea in any setup. The best advice would be to either not purchase the RC-52 II, or to purchase a Synergy line center channel. For the wides, S-10's would probably work for you fine too with that setup, but the RC-52 doesn't belong in that mix.

I have run an rc62ii between synergy f30s and it blended well. I would never consider a synergy center. Imho of course